Dad needs advice...

GLR
Species: Lakers

Dad needs advice...

Post by GLR »

My 13 year old son is hot to catch a big Laker or salmon and I have been trying to get up to speed on how to get some fish in the boat. We do a lot of fly fishing so this is a different game for us...

Here is what I have been doing...

We have launched from Peru dock twice in the last week but no fish. I'm running 2 downriggers just off the bottom in 80-110 for. Using j11 rapalas of various colors. Pulling cow bells on one rig. Fishing tight to the rigger. Running 1.5--2.0 mph.

Advice?

Thanks!
TUnamas

Re: Dad needs advice...

Post by TUnamas »

I too am an avid fly fisherman. Trolling lakers isn't my favorite pastime, but it also isn't complicated. Although I don't know the area of the lake that you are fishing, your depth seems about right. I think 100 + should get you in the zone. But depth without location is nothing. Use your graph or charts to locate humps and reef edges at those same depths. Focus your efforts there. If the fish are around, they'll eat that Rapala, but you might want to throw a large spoon on the other side just to mix it up. Good luck!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Not too far from Peru, fish the east side of Valcour. Once you get north of the red buoy on the south end, find 100', and don't be afraid to bump bottom with the ball. You should be able to run north- south there and stay the same depth for a mile or more. Not at 100? Move in towards the island and fish 85 fow. You'll see the fish on bottom. I would get rid of the Rapalas and go with all spoons.
GLR

Post by GLR »

Guys,

Thanks! I will get out there this Friday morning and give it a shot. We appreciate the advice. I picked up some Laker spoons tonight...

Is it worth running a line at about 60 feet for salmon? When I was watching the graph we could see the occasional fish at around 60.

I will let you know how we do Friday...

Tight lines ...
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

GLR wrote:Guys,

Thanks! I will get out there this Friday morning and give it a shot. We appreciate the advice. I picked up some Laker spoons tonight...

Is it worth running a line at about 60 feet for salmon? When I was watching the graph we could see the occasional fish at around 60.

I will let you know how we do Friday...

Tight lines ...
Normally I would say yes on the salmon depth, but this has been an extremely poor year for salmon North of Burlington, so I would say unless you see some nice bait balls with active fish on them, use your lines for Lakers. Of course nothing is a given.
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

GLR wrote: Is it worth running a line at about 60 feet for salmon? When I was watching the graph we could see the occasional fish at around 60.

Rather than dedicating a line to salmon, another option would be to add "sliders" to your laker rods. A slider is nothing more than a snap swivel which is clipped to your line, attached to 3-4 feet of leader and a salmon spoon. The snap swivel will freely slide down to the bow in your line midway between your downrigger clip depth and your rod tip. If you are fishing 100 feet, your sliders should be fishing at 50 and will pick up any salmon in that zone. A slider doesn't count as a rod under the regs, but it does count as a hook. Good luck!
GLR

Post by GLR »

Thanks TUnamas and C-Hawk...looks like Friday will be a nice day to be on the water. My son is excited and ready to go!
hard knox
Species: salmon

Post by hard knox »

C HAWK is spot on with regards to location of lakers on the east and south end of valcour island i haved pulled hundreds of lakers out of there . There are some days when you will mark plenty of lakers but the will not bight spoons well this is when you use your cowbells just off bottom with bait of choice behind it . If you want to catch a ton of lakers you should put sent on lures herring gel works great .Now for the secret weapon go online and order brads supper baits in the large cut plug style i like the green and chrome /blue green . There is a compartment inside the cut plug that you open and pack with canned tuna fish in oil . You can goggle them on you tube and see how to rig them they are used alot on west coast for kings i use them and catch browns ,kings ,steelies and lakers on them . I will warn you if you run these behind cowbells on bottom you better be ready to catch alot of fish the lakers cant resist these . GET THE BIG ONES AND MAKE SURE TO BUY TUNA IN OIL ! GOOD LUCK
GLR

Post by GLR »

Thanks, Hard Knox, I'll order them right now...wonder if you could soak a little tuna oil on a scent keeper pad and tip the spoon with it?
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

GLR wrote:Thanks, Hard Knox, I'll order them right now...wonder if you could soak a little tuna oil on a scent keeper pad and tip the spoon with it?
Be careful of what you attach to the spoon as it may affect the action. We recommend a small (1 inch) piece of fluorescent yarn tied to the hook to which you can apply scent apply. Cut it off when finished and add another piece of yarn to change scents or to store in your box after spoon is washed (in dishwashing SOAP). A scent left on a lure will decay and potentially become a dis-attractant.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks Hard Knox, good tip for everyone. When I fish Lakers though, I run vertical blades on the rigger cable and set the lure tight 4 or5 feet from the release. With the ball 16" below, I like to think that by bumping bottom , the ball is in the mud cloud and the junk is above it.
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

C-Hawk is spot on, I do one extra thing with scent, I Drill a hole or 2 in Downrigger Ball slightly smaller than a Foam Earplug, add scent to this or soak earplug in scent ! That's my trick! There now ya all no ! LOL ;)
"OFF SEASON"
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I do the same thing Off Season, but I use cigarette filters, or just chunks of cotton rags.
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

C-Hawk wrote:I do the same thing Off Season, but I use cigarette filters, or just chunks of cotton rags.

Great minds, well you no !
"OFF SEASON"