Using Scent

tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Using Scent

Post by tamiron »

If you are not going to "wash off" your lures, after using scent on them, and before you put them away, don't use scent.

Remember, scent is a biological product subject to "decay" or spoilage! You will be amazed how ineffective a lure becomes after it starts to "stink". A small container of dish washing liquid and water will remove the "grease" build up and restore your lures to good working condition. Do it every time you put scent on.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
hard knox
Species: salmon

Re: Using Scent

Post by hard knox »

Spot on Tamiron just washed my spoons today from my 2 day charter that was sat and sunday as i am going right back tomorrow for another 2 day charter . I use mikes herring with great success and allways wash all spoons with free and clear before putting away or my next trip .
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Maybe we all ought to think about washing our lures more often even the ones with out scent applied.... On further reflection, it seems that slime from a net, or even touching a fish or a bloody deck can leave an unwanted "smell" that will decay over time and make that trusty lure not quite so effective ??

After a very productive spring, many Charters Captains that I know, have gone through a slight drought! It seems the cure is a complete wash down of nets, decks, even shoes. Never connected the two before ... but maybe worth considering.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Never thought about this.. makes sense... I think I got some washing to do...
Matt B