Fighting Fish

C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Fighting Fish

Post by C-Hawk »

Ok, so we have had some great discussion here on how to get set up, what to look for and few other and very important topics, but I have never seen much advice on this forum on how to play a fish. Many people over the years have lost their first chance at salmon on my boat and there are a few reactions that repeatedly occur , causing the lure to fall out. I would like to hear if any of the regulars have good advice in this area.

The most critical point in any salmon battle is the jump. What I have noticed over the years, is a normal reaction when they see the leap, is to raise the rod tip high over their head and pull back, many times actually flipping the fish in a different direction, and putting too much pressure on the line. What I try to do is hold my rod off to the side in the opposite direction the fish is headed, and lower the tip while still leaving plenty of angle between line and pole. This helps limit the height of the jump, or discourages it altogether. Now we all like acrobatics, but when the fish gets close to your other gear , this is a wise play.

Drag is a very common reason we lose fish. The last few years, I have gone to using my thumb as the drag. After the hook-up, which I never really bother to set the hook, I crank my drag very loose until I know what kind of fish it is. Now I have instant control of drag. If it's a good one , I can let it go and I almost never need the excuse, "My drag was too tight". How ma y times have we heard that? By thumbing the reel and lifting the tip, you can pull in big fish with a loose drag. Thumbup, reel as you lower the tip. Keep this pumping action going right to the net.

Many times the fish will come right into the boat, but you should be sure the fish is ready for net before he gets to the boat, a very critical time. A newcomer will get a good fish in, only to have the fight start near a downrigger set-up. Get the fish ready well back of the boat, lower your tip slightly , reeling as you go, and in one motion lift the fish to the surface, lift the tip and guide the fish to the net. Don't be tentative. Also you should be able to skid the fish along the surface. Lately I have lost fish that were too far below the surface, and the drag of the net below the hull caught me unawares. I will not try netting anymore fish that I deem to deep. It is your job to get the fish up where it can be easily seen.

All of this is basic stuff, but when a good fish is hooked, it is usually a chaotic scene, though a very enjoyable one. When you fish with more than 2, make a plan ahead of time, like who steers, who nets, etc. Anyone else?
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Re: Fighting Fish

Post by Greenhorn »

Interesting topic C-Hawk. I haven't given much thought about the fight, but you bring up good points. I guess I would like to add my thoughts about the netting part of the fight. We have lost two really nice fish at the net this year on my boat. Both of the fish span the width of the hoop with over half the body still outside of the hoop. When the fishes face hits the back of the net, the hook(s) get tangled in the netting and the fish flips and rolls free and that is the end of that. In each case, we were reaching too far out with the net. I think we need to get a large fish closer to the net, guide the head to the middle of the hoop, and relax on the line to let it drop into the net. Even a tail flip should push the fish deeper into the net. By the way, the net I have is a large net. If I get a bigger net, I will have to get a bigger boat to carry it :lol: Any other tips on netting large fish or tips on the fight?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I do something pretty radical on big fish to keep them hooked. I will thumb the spoil and release the bail catch and let the fish have line to settle it down when it is flailing during the fight. I also watch the line and will do it when the line is headed for the surface for a jump. This will prevent a jump and keep them in the water if you do it right. A jump is just an attempt to spit hooks so if you can keep them from doing it your landing rate goes up . Take a little while to learn this technique but the folks who fish with me have all seen it work when a big fish is pissed off. If you can keep them from flailing in the water the hook hole will not be enlarged and he will stay buttoned better. This technique has double the land rate when a salmon over 5 lbs is on... there is NO hurry to get them aboard. I try to do it with as mellow of a fight as possible... if he wants line give it to him!
Matt B
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Reelax wrote:I do something pretty radical on big fish to keep them hooked. I will thumb the spool and release the bail catch and let the fish have line to settle it down when it is flailing during the fight. I also watch the line and will do it when the line is headed for the surface for a jump. This will prevent a jump and keep them in the water if you do it right. A jump is just an attempt to spit hooks so if you can keep them from doing it your landing rate goes up . Take a little while to learn this technique but the folks who fish with me have all seen it work when a big fish is pissed off. If you can keep them from flailing in the water the hook hole will not be enlarged and he will stay buttoned better. This technique has double the land rate when a salmon over 5 lbs is on... there is NO hurry to get them aboard. I try to do it with as mellow of a fight as possible... if he wants line give it to him!
just keep it tight enough with no slack with your thumb and this will never fail you... I started doing this a few years ago after loosing too many monsters during jumps and when they flail all over early in fight.. it works!

Also
Works if you get a green fish all the way in before the fight... instead of losing it trying to get it in net flopping all over. Let it have line and get away from spread until ready for net..

No hurry here...
Matt B
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Good reels with a very lose drag and tire them out before you get them to the boat is the best bet. A Salmon that is still green when he gets to the downriggers will make the best anglers look like a green horn. Less pressure on the fish means less jumps is what I find.
Bulldogbish
Species: Salmon, Lakers

Post by Bulldogbish »

New to the site! Love this tactics section.

We found out years ago that Champlain salmon fight better and are more spastic than our MA Salmon. We broke off too many fish 6-7 years ago and now have a plan before we get a bite. We like to keep our drags pretty tight on the riggers to get on the fish quick, especially for cheaters, then loosen them up for the fight. We are constantly reminding each other the drag has to be adjusted on the rigger rods as we messed up when we first started doing this. Lead/Dispey/flat are set much lighter. Another thing we do is clear lines as soon as the rod guy says to. He may get made fun of if he has us clear one side only to find a 4lb laker had his parachute mouth open but better safe than sorry. The rod guy can also slow the boat down if we are not gaining and have the driver circle for the big fish. I think the main point is that the guy on the rod is the one reeling but the everyone on the boat is fighting the fish. Solo fishing is a different story... lol
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I need to add here that as soon as the fish is in the net, the man on the rod needs to create slack imediatly, otherwise the tight line can pop the fish right out of the net. Also I have had rods broken in the excitement because of tight line. This can also help get the hook caught in the net, and not let the fish fall to the bottom of the net .