Slide diver lite bite

Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Slide diver lite bite

Post by Crayfish »

Sounds like a fun 3 days, Ahhspray! Congrats and glad you got to spend some quality time with your son.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Ahhspray wrote:Well it was 3 days of staying on the boat and fishing with my youngest son ...so GREAT!

No real big salmon but we caught salmon. ALL salmon except 1 the WHOLE trip came on a small blue-silver pearl trout honeybee. I have the same spoon in silver instead of pearl and the salmon wanted nothing to do with it. We went through a lot of pro-cure smelt and it produced for us 2 or 3 to 1 over other scents we use. We found all this odd since the fish were coughing up big 6" alewives that probably don't smell like smelt, and certainly don't look like that spoon. Kicking myself that I only had that one copy of that spoon. ...more on the way now though. Blue/white was key for us for all species interestingly.

Got several very large pike 36"+, large perch 12-13"(master angler for my son) and smallmouth. All trolling.

Great week and we both enjoyed the pre-derby calm and Rozzi's, though we fought wind each day.
Thanks for the detail (plugs) and a great report that really sounded like fun./Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
chilidog
Species: Salmon and trout

Post by chilidog »

I'm putting together two new slide diver rigs with 9' Okuma dipsy rods and their cold water line counter reels. Now on to spooling the reels, mono is out, 50 lb. braid works great but I'm seriously considering 7 strand copper wire, it sinks fast so you drop back less and it offers a quick alternative to lead core if you want to swing that way. Friend of mine on Ontario swears by it. What do the experts say? Thanks for the advice, this website is awesome.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I dont think you want to use copper on a slide diver, the way the line runs, and the way the releases set leads me to think that copper would kink over time and get ruined. Plus you can get DEEP with slide divers without it. Add the dive kit to them you can get to the bottom in 100ft of water in under 200ft of line. Copper isn't going to significantly improve that over braid, and at its cost I don't see it as worth it.
chilidog
Species: Salmon and trout

Post by chilidog »

Thanks Keith, I'll give the dive kit a try. For the copper set, up I would tie the wire to a 50-100' braid (or mono) into a 3' flouro leader. The diver would slide on the mono, not the copper wire so it shouldn't get too beat up.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Does the color of the diver matter?
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

I can’t tell you if the color makes any difference as I only use clear and occasionally black for the last 6 years. I wouldn’t use these with copper. I’ve found that Suffix 832 Advanced Superline braid 20 or 30# works fine with either the Lite Bite or the Lite Bite with the 7 oz. Ultimate Ring & Weight Kit.
Have fun with the Slide Divers.
Bill
"POINTER"
LandLocker
Species: Silvers

Post by LandLocker »

How is everyone storing their slide diver rigs?

Are you re-tieing the setup each time out?

I've just been placing rigged rod on the floor of my boat which is not exactly ideal :?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

[quote="LandLocker"]How is everyone storing their slide diver rigs?

Are you re-tieing the setup each time out?

I've just been placing rigged rod on the floor of my boat which is not exactly ideal :?[/quote

I break my rods down and use rod ties to attach the slide diver the the rod tighly for storage in my open bow. It stays tied and ready that way. Many folks have similar stow setups, some even leave the rod whole. I don’t know anyone who threads fresh each time...
Matt B