New to Champlain

Cleveland Danny
Species: Walleye, Pike, Steelhead, Bass

New to Champlain

Post by Cleveland Danny »

Hey folks. My buddies and I are doing our 2nd annual Champlain trip (we're from Ohio) and are looking to get onto some salmon and trout this year. Can someone point us in the right direction for hooking up with these salmonids? We'll be lodging towards the middle of the lake (grand isle to be exact). We have 2 downriggers, dipsy divers, and planer boards. If Champlain is anything like Erie I'd assume the fish are shallower, hitting jerkbaits, and trolling speeds are slow. Any info would be apprectiated and if anyone has any questions about Erie or is ever out this way I'd be more than happy to help. Tight lines to all!!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: New to Champlain

Post by keithm87 »

Shallow and find the warm water... most people target Town Farm Bay, Keelers Bay, or the champlain bridge area (bulwagga and its surrounding) area this time of year for salmon. Lakers can be had in their normal spots from Burlington north to mallets, and they will be shallow, but we caught a few down 80+ the other day when we went off the edge of the winooski river delta and happened to mark a pile of bait pushed up against a ledge in a horseshoe area. Lakers can also be had in any of the salmon areas outside of the inland sea. Most popular launches this time of year are the winooski delta launch in colchester, apple island in south hero, converse in charlotte, and under the bridge or port henry. look for the boats and thats likely where the fish are, then the fun of figuring out what they want during the annual alewife die-off begins.
MeanGreen
Species: lake trout

Post by MeanGreen »

Also new to Champlain. Any Salmon/Lakers in the Isla La Motte area this time of year? Maybe to the North near Chazy Landing?
Cleveland Danny

Thanks for the info keith m87! Really appreciate it.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Cleveland ... when are you going to be here? That will help determine where you should be fishing and what you should be running for gear. Right now, Keith is right. You've gotta find the warm water. A month from now will be a little different, however.
Cleveland Danny

Crayfish- We'll be up there this coming monday through Saturday