Line and leaders

troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Line and leaders

Post by troutcrazy »

What is your leader/mainline setup?

My new setup is 12lb Spiderwire braid mainline, with 10lb Seaguar STS fluoro leader.

I like having the option to cast, so I tie the leader with a double uni knot, instead of a swivel.

I have broken my fluoro leader enough that I'm starting to distrust it (it wasn't the knot). I'm considering going back to mono. Is anyone successfully using a mono leader? What test?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Line and leaders

Post by C-Hawk »

I don't like flouro myself, I think it is too brittle and detracts fom the action of lighter spoons. I've been using 20 feet of 10 lb stren for years, and seldom get broke off. And 30 lb braid main line, # 10 barrel swivel between .
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I use 12 # Maxima ( green) for main and 10# floro for leaders with a swivel,I think your breakage problem is caused by no stretch in the braid,there is little shock absorption there ,either in the braid or the floro
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Always 3 ft of 10lb segar floro for me in all sets. Has worked great on salmon in lake Champlain from 6lbs up to 11lbs so far without fail. Went up from 8lbs 2 years ago when we broke off Jaws in the 1st run in we had with him. But we get him on 10lb a year later!

He’s now on da wall..
Attachments
9.5lb Jaws caught off Thompsons
9.5lb Jaws caught off Thompsons
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

very nice matt.
JDK
Species: Togue

Post by JDK »

15 pound Big Game, micro swivel, 6 to 8 feet of Seaguar fluorocarbon leader. I do not like braid for most trolling situations.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I run the same as JDK. My new question is what line should i run with the side divers ? their new to me this year.
Thanks DON
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I run the same as JDK. My new question is what line should i run with the( slide divers )? their new to me this year.
Thanks DON
JDK

Post by JDK »

I used 50 pound power pro on my slide diver rod
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Thanks for sharing your line/leader setups! I still haven't made a change. That Maxima looks intriguing, and I'll probably give that a try.

I might be getting the hang of the braid/fluoro combination. I haven't broken off lately, and I've caught a bunch of nice fish. It is a little annoying to retie my leader so often, but I guess that's just fluoro. I have a feeling that I'm going to really like the braid when the fishing turns to deeper water-- and I have big plans for deep water fishing this year.

The more specialized I get in my line/leader setup, the more rods I end up carting around, which is getting cumbersome. But I guess there are worse problems to have (like losing fish) :lol:
JDK

Post by JDK »

Take this for what it is worth. We did our maiden voyage this past weekend. Had to go 3 hours south to find open water but we did.

I set up 2 rods with 8 pound Seguar fluorocarbon and 2 rods with 8 pound Sunline fluorocarbon, just to see. Saturday afternoon we boated 19 fish, with the Seaguar being slightly better. Only problem was I had to break off 6 or so inches of line after each fish or every other fish and retie. Only once with the Sunline.

Sunday morning was slower and we had 5 fish to 23 inches. All on the sunline and only a single retie. I don't know if I have a bad batch of Seaguar but it is very brittle and prone to breakoffs.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Have had good luck with seguar blue label. The yellow label I had problems with. That being said I usually run p-line.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Interesting! I'm using Seaguar STS. "Salmon trout steelhead"
Santiago
Species: salmonoids

Post by Santiago »

15 lb. braided and 6-7 feet of 8 lb. fluorocarbon leader connected by a small barrel swivel, both with Palomar knots. I use 9 foot rods so the swivel doesn't hang up on the tip. I'm curious, I use a swivel to attach terminal lures. Some folks I know tie the lure directly to the leader. Do you folks have a preference also?
JDK

Post by JDK »

I typically use a small duolock snap.