Planer Mast Height

Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Planer Mast Height

Post by Del Gue »

I’m looking for some feedback and anyone familiar with Bert’s Costom Tackle Planer Board Masts. I’m looking to install two single Planer Masts, one on each side of my Striper boat on the Gunnel. With my enclosure, I need to install them about midway up the side. I’m looking at a couple of Bert’s Tackle Masts. The top of the gunnel hits me just above my knees. I have a choice between a three foot tall mast and a six foot tall one. I’m afraid the three footer won’t give me the angle I want to get the release down the line. I’m not worried about reaching the line on the six footer because I’m 6’3” but does anyone know if they have a release on the bottom to take them down during transport? I’m not comfortable with the idea of driving down the road with the mast being so high.
Thanks
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
dry net
Species: cold water

Re: Planer Mast Height

Post by dry net »

I believe that the Berts attach to their base with a screw that has a wing nut on the end. Big Jons use a larger screw with a large nut. Both make taking the mast down easy. I've seen alot of larger boats mounting just the reels on either side not using the masts.
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

dry net wrote:I believe that the Berts attach to their base with a screw that has a wing nut on the end. Big Jons use a larger screw with a large nut. Both make taking the mast down easy. I've seen alot of larger boats mounting just the reels on either side not using the masts.
Thanks, it’s hard to find information online about how easily they can be removed. But what I have found is their track system does allow for easy removal without having to take off the end clips.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I think you will be happier the higher you mount them. The height helps keep the lines out of the water and ensure releases slide down well.... My berts double planer mast adjusts from 4ft to 8.5ft and it has an easy 2 screw disconnect to just slide it out of the track it sits in... If it's in use, its always set to the max 8.5 foot setting.
Matt B
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Reelax wrote:I think you will be happier the higher you mount them. The height helps keep the lines out of the water and ensure releases slide down well.... My berts double planer mast adjusts from 4ft to 8.5ft and it has an easy 2 screw disconnect to just slide it out of the track it sits in... If it's in use, its always set to the max 8.5 foot setting.
Thanks Matt. I heard from Bert’s today and they said the same thing. The 6’ mast will break down easily into two, three foot sections.
I agree with the height. I’ve used a mast in the past that was not tall. It took much longer to set and reset lines.