Finding salmon

User avatar
tamiron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Species: trout, salmon
Location: Granger, IN
Contact:

Re: Finding salmon

Postby tamiron » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 am

jusgrinnin wrote:Here's my saturday report, out of Westport @0630 ran out to 100 fow dropped the Fishhawk probe let it soak for a few min while picking lures. retrived the probe to read it 57* from surface to 100'(not much help). so we made a plan trolled south for an hour riggers stacked @40 and 30 and 45 an 35 where the bait seemed to be turned around after an hour went over to the VT side and trolled north to Scotch Bonnet crossed back to Snakes den and all the way to Split rock turned around headed back south. fished till 4pm 1short silver 3 lake trout 2 yellow 1 white perch. Long day with not much to show for it. Hope this help someone."(


Jusgrinnin

Check the post just above yours. It's really important this time of year to create a mental image of the water column, the temp, and the natural tendency of predators to flair to the side of oncoming boats, if they are near the surface. Based on wind, high and low pressure systems and even changing pressure can cause temperature inversions. If the temp is "right" on the surface then you really should try to work it instead of depth, especially in lower light conditions.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
User avatar
the_doctor
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm
Species: Whatever's biting

Re: Finding salmon

Postby the_doctor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am

Wow, awesome thread! I am going to have to challenge myself to catch a salmon this fall.

Let me throw a question to the experts:
So, I see that salmon come up higher in the fall, maybe even right to the surface as Tamiron says.
Do they prefer to stay over deeper water, even when up high? Or will they chase bait right up into the shallows?
Trying to think of some spots I can fish from shore or easily access with a smaller boat.
User avatar
tamiron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Species: trout, salmon
Location: Granger, IN
Contact:

Re: Finding salmon

Postby tamiron » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:28 pm

the_doctor wrote:Wow, awesome thread! I am going to have to challenge myself to catch a salmon this fall.

Let me throw a question to the experts:
So, I see that salmon come up higher in the fall, maybe even right to the surface as Tamiron says.
Do they prefer to stay over deeper water, even when up high? Or will they chase bait right up into the shallows?
Trying to think of some spots I can fish from shore or easily access with a smaller boat.


One of the "experts" on this topic, ( fishing from shore) is FISHY1. He fishes on the NY side. Quite a few posts from the Vermont side using Flies from shore. Check the search function. The colder the water gets (and heavier it gets), it will sink. What's left is the warmest water on top, until near freeze out. 39 degree water is the most dense, until ice forms.

Type in salmon or trout from shore and it returns 2262 threads !!!!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
User avatar
the_doctor
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm
Species: Whatever's biting

Re: Finding salmon

Postby the_doctor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Yes Fishy1 is the man! To be clear, I am not looking for specific spots...just general locations. For example, all things being equal, I'm thinking a shoreline with a steep drop into deeper water is better for salmon than a more gradual slope, right?
I guess I will have to study old posts and try to figure it out for myself! Hope to be back in this thread soon with a salmon pic. Or at least a trout!
User avatar
tamiron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Species: trout, salmon
Location: Granger, IN
Contact:

Re: Finding salmon

Postby tamiron » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm

the_doctor wrote:Yes Fishy1 is the man! To be clear, I am not looking for specific spots...just general locations. For example, all things being equal, I'm thinking a shoreline with a steep drop into deeper water is better for salmon than a more gradual slope, right?
I guess I will have to study old posts and try to figure it out for myself! Hope to be back in this thread soon with a salmon pic. Or at least a trout!


I wish I could help you more, but unless it's live bait (smelt/alewives in NY Finger Lakes) I have zero experience. But I remember some of the threads on this forum definitely talked about piers in the Burlington area with flies.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Chris Like 2 Fish
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:06 pm
Species: All

Re: Finding salmon

Postby Chris Like 2 Fish » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Hey Chris here. I’m new to lake Champlain but I can tell you that I have caught a couple salmon from shore in Colchester mixed with a Laker. As the water gets colder they come closer to shore. People look at me strange but I use 10’ pole with a spoon or white soft bait launch it out as far as I can and slow retrieve it. I also stop reeling and raise my rod tip to let my lure drop and rise back up as I retrieve it. The causeway being closed has hurt me cuz that was the fastest way for me to be able to fish my side and the south hero side of the lake
User avatar
tamiron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Species: trout, salmon
Location: Granger, IN
Contact:

Re: Finding salmon

Postby tamiron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Chris Like 2 Fish wrote:Hey Chris here. I’m new to lake Champlain but I can tell you that I have caught a couple salmon from shore in Colchester mixed with a Laker. As the water gets colder they come closer to shore. People look at me strange but I use 10’ pole with a spoon or white soft bait launch it out as far as I can and slow retrieve it. I also stop reeling and raise my rod tip to let my lure drop and rise back up as I retrieve it. The causeway being closed has hurt me cuz that was the fastest way for me to be able to fish my side and the south hero side of the lake


Chris:
Thanks for sharing.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
User avatar
tamiron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Species: trout, salmon
Location: Granger, IN
Contact:

Re: Finding salmon

Postby tamiron » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm

I know that some of you forum members are catching salmon trolling. How about sharing some of your results?? Remember no specific locations. But numbers or general approach might be nice. My idea for "hijacking" this thread was to get people to share or to complain about doing something and not getting the results they were looking for. Please don't prove all the naysayers right with your silence. :(
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Dwayne
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:47 pm
Species: Browns

Re: Finding salmon

Postby Dwayne » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:35 pm

i saw salmon yesterday jumping to get out of my way on the surface as i was schooting along at 27 mph i stop and tossed out 2 deep diving crank baits and made a look and hooked up on one fish in 200 feet of water between indian point and bonnet river out in the middle of know where. lost the fish at the boat, could not get another hit
User avatar
tamiron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Species: trout, salmon
Location: Granger, IN
Contact:

Re: Finding salmon

Postby tamiron » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks Dwayne! Good to know about the salmon being on the top of the water column in the "middle of nowhere" !! ;)
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
User avatar
tamiron
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm
Species: trout, salmon
Location: Granger, IN
Contact:

Re: Finding salmon

Postby tamiron » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:56 pm

TIME TO MOVE TO THE FISHING REPORTS FORUM UNDER A NEW THREAD (SAME AS THIS ONE)
FINDING SALMON
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron