GPS tablet install (Samsung Galaxy 8")

digitroll (ron)

Re: GPS tablet install (Samsung Galaxy 8")

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Not a coffee person Scott! The fan worked well today!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

TUnamas wrote:Ron - Nice dash! You must keep the coffee maker on the foredeck?!!
The dash is cool but the Brown is cooler!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

I realize this is an older thread but with folks prepping their boats, I thought this could be helpful info since I didn't see anyone else mention it. I use a NON-CELLULAR iPad mini. I didn't think I'd need cellular years ago when I bought it. I bought an external GPS for it last summer from Amazon that connects via bluetooth to the iPad mini and cost much less than the difference in price of the cell version pad. It's been tested on my boat and has proven itself reliable ...I keep both tablet and GPS unit plugged into 12v power. Here's the link for anyone who does not have a cellular capable tablet and wants to use it for their GPS screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That's a great idea to use an external GPS. Thanks for sharing the info.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Ahhspray wrote:I realize this is an older thread but with folks prepping their boats, I thought this could be helpful info since I didn't see anyone else mention it. I use a NON-CELLULAR iPad mini. I didn't think I'd need cellular years ago when I bought it. I bought an external GPS for it last summer from Amazon that connects via bluetooth to the iPad mini and cost much less than the difference in price of the cell version pad. It's been tested on my boat and has proven itself reliable ...I keep both tablet and GPS unit plugged into 12v power. Here's the link for anyone who does not have a cellular capable tablet and wants to use it for their GPS screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80
Are you using this with the Navionics mapping app?
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

voyager wrote:
Ahhspray wrote:I realize this is an older thread but with folks prepping their boats, I thought this could be helpful info since I didn't see anyone else mention it. I use a NON-CELLULAR iPad mini. I didn't think I'd need cellular years ago when I bought it. I bought an external GPS for it last summer from Amazon that connects via bluetooth to the iPad mini and cost much less than the difference in price of the cell version pad. It's been tested on my boat and has proven itself reliable ...I keep both tablet and GPS unit plugged into 12v power. Here's the link for anyone who does not have a cellular capable tablet and wants to use it for their GPS screen: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80
Are you using this with the Navionics mapping app?
Yes I am. It was MUCH cheaper on my tablet than it was to repurchase the subscription for the chip in my sonar/gps unit too.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

Nice work!
Can you tell me what which mouth it is? Can't find it on Amazon.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

wesson357 wrote:Nice work!
Can you tell me what which mouth it is? Can't find it on Amazon.
On Amazon, search for "External GPS for iPad".
There are a few Bluetooth GPS receivers.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

Here is the one that has worked for me. This one had the strongest combo of: best reviews, best satellite pick up, and lowest price when I researched them last spring. Newer versions might now be available but it's worked well for me. Click on this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80