Waterwolf camera

goldeneye13
Species: Cold water

Waterwolf camera

Post by goldeneye13 »

Any of you have an opinion on the waterwolf camera?
Looking for some feedback and opinions.

Fred
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Waterwolf camera

Post by Reelax »

There was a flurry of folks trying em 2 years ago. I am not aware of anyone still using it regularly so I chalked it up to a fad and didn’t buy one. They did look interesting, but the file management seemed redumentary at best so it can get old quick.

That would be my input.

I suspect if you asked if anyone had one they would sell, you may get a good deal.

Fish on.
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i bought one 2 years ago and they work well but mine is still in the box. i have been afraid to use it because im not sure about the editing and electrontics of it. a forum member whom used it alot and got great videos is now not on here no more for some reason . i had to chance to sell mine twice but still have it i want to set it on a line in a trout pond on bottom to video whats happening there. they do work well and if your good at all with videoing and electronics i think you will like it alot. i think im going to use in this spring alot if i catch on the editing of it . if you look at the old post look for registered kayak posts he used it alot and got great videos trolling for salmon .check it out miss that mark on here.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I have one I will sell. It's version 1, barely used.
Make me an offer.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

ThreeBuoys wrote:I have one I will sell. It's version 1, barely used.
Make me an offer.
why are you selling it may i ask. did you have a difficult time using it or editing it or had troubles with it just curious because im looking forward to try mine on bottom of a pond
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I bought one and sold it in the package shortly after buying it. It's been one of those really quiet subjects. Everyone wanted one but only a few people actually used them. No regrets selling mine.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I tried it. Just didn't get great results. I may try again if I can't sell it.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I have one that I used and posted videos a couple years back. It worked pretty well, but the process of reviewing footage sucked, it also wasn't great in low light, so didn't do great on heavy cloud days, or down deep. Champ is pretty clear, but seeing fish was pretty hard at times as well. it is also in the way when setting gear and stuff, trying to get it out of the boat and behind riggers without tangling stuff was a bit of a struggle. I do plan to try it again in the spring though. I really wish someone would come up with a Fishhawk Video system, wireless direct feed of live video that could be put inline on a rigger. I love running right on the ball with my laker gear and that would be a trip to see live video of the gear!
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I was thinking the same thing it would be neat if Fish Hawk came out with something that is 1/3 the size of the Waterwolf probe. As the technology improves I am sure down the road we will see something more improved. A large part of it though is the editing part and going thru all that film to edit isn't something I want to spend a lot of time doing. This was the main reason I had buyers remorse after buying it and selling it quickly after. It would be nice if the camera would only record when a fish is in the camera view. Wouldn't that be cool! Like a trail cam for hunting.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

The little bit that I used mine, I wish that I kept a log of when I had a release or even noted a decent fish on the finder. May have had a lot of looks, but wasn't ever going to edit 4 hours of video to see a 2 second flash of a fish. If I use again, I would only use when fishing is really hot . I had a nice shot of a huge salmon trying to eat the thing, but couldn't ever find it again. Also as Keith said light is an issue. I couldn't see anything below 50'.
On the plus side, it did iritate the Billy -Bobs
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

how do you guys think that would work on bottom in clear water form 4 fow to 30 fow in trout ponds
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Probably work ok Matt,but it might not face the direction you always want. Also ,I would use some really heavy line, and then a really light leader to your bait.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

im thinking it will work but the editing and hours of taping is what scares me afterwards. ill guess ill have to see and check around who is good at that stuff like that. i would like to see whats going on bottom with those trout especailly in the fall for their spawning run
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

The viewing software runs in 10 minute blocks. It is important to keep track of time while you are fishing so you only have to search a certain segment.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:The viewing software runs in 10 minute blocks. It is important to keep track of time while you are fishing so you only have to search a certain segment.
okay thanks