Fishing around Montreal

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Fishing around Montreal

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Fished solo yesterday on St-Louis. Weatherman predicted nice calm day..... what a liar. It was ROUGH... only fishing boat on the water during the 5 hours I spent chasing walleyes. At least it was warm and sunshine showed up a few times.
I was lucky enough to get 2 bites, and got them into the boat, both keepers.
At end of day, boat and I were WET.
Attachments
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG (113.46 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG (138.94 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Fished solo Monday for a few hours in Lake St-Louis. At least this time the weatherman was right. Mostly calm day on the water.
unfortunately is was also pretty calm under the water.... only 3 fish going into the boat, all released.
Caught a nice drum that stuck to the bottom and did not want anything to do approaching the boat.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I know you love pics.... here's the drum.
Attachments
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG (127.22 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Fished solo Wednesday. Again, the weatherman lied. It started as a smooth ride and turned into 3 foot waves within an hour on the St-Louis. Not easy to jig in this choppy condition so it was time to put the autopilot to work and troll. It worked for a while but then wind picked up more and autopilot had a hard time keeping course heading in the wind... so went back to jigging.
Spend five hours on the water with only 3 walleye bites.
One too short..... one keeper.... one too big...
Again, boat was soaked when I headed back to shore..... it's time to upgrade to suspension seats....
Attachments
Oct-14.JPG
Oct-14.JPG (111.53 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Fished yesterday the Thousand Island river, just north of Montreal. Nothing to write about. It was a fairly calm day on the water and below the surface. Only one small bass bite. This was my first attempt on that river, not sure I'll go back any time soon.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Fished for about 5 hours solo last Friday. It was warm and calm. I was not alone on the water. At one time I counted 12 boats east of me, and 18 west. All size of boats, even some BIG ones passing close to us.
Boats-East.jpg
Boats-East.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
Boats-West.jpg
Boats-West.jpg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
This one was so close I could not capture all of it in the picture.
Big boat.jpg
Big boat.jpg (81.31 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
A great day on the water but not productive.... not one bite. Tried trolling and jigging.

Will try again soon, it can only get better.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Today I finished installing the new suspension kits under the seats.
I had to replace the round bases.... not easy since they had bolts/nuts holding them to the floor, but nothing a drill and some tools couldn't handle.
New bases and new wood screws looking much cleaner.
The kit raises the seat a bit, but the extra height is compensated by the smoothness of the ride.
Now it's like riding on a cushion of air.
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG (93.43 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
Why did I waited so long before doing the upgrade?
Rain and cold weather in the forecast for the next few days. Hopefully should be able to go back fishing beginning of next week and enjoy the new ride.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Woke up this morning with everything covered in white blanket. Temps are staying around freezing today so melting only happened when sunshine hit roads and metal on cars. As of late afternoon, my boat is still covered with snow. Frostbite season is definitely here. Temps should warm up a bit later this week, enough to get out on the water by Thursday or Friday. Luckily I bought a heated vest so its time to test it.
Attachments
FirstSnow.jpg
FirstSnow.jpg (127.99 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I was on the water a few times since last post. Unfortunately not much to report. Only a nice pike the previous outing and a small walleye yesterday. At least the weather is superb, it's a great Indian Summer that should last until Tuesday.
Planning to be on the water tomorrow and Tuesday. Hope to get some bites and be able to take pics to prove the catches.
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

On the water Monday and Tuesday with my friend André. The weather was fantastic for this time of year.
We fished on the St-Lawrence river for walleyes, and YES, they were cooperative once we found were they were active.
We trolled most of the time, and brought back our limit each. We released most of our catches because they were oversized.
Weather is cooling a lot now, but there should still be a few more fishing trips before putting the boat away.
Attachments
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG (85.85 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG (109.03 KiB) Viewed 3927 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice eyes guys!
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

We're expecting some snow this evening, so boat is now winterized and in storage :(
I had a great summer, mostly fishing walleyes.
Let's hope by next spring we will be able to cross the border and fish Champlain again. I miss it.

Hey Frostbite fleet, we look forward to your posts and pics during the next few months.
Tight lines, and stay safe, on and off the water.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I just found this thread Gerry. You guys catch a ton of walleye up there. My neighbor would be jealous. We caught 5 or 6 opening weekend and the one after down here, and that was it. Ate three of them. Once they move out of the river, we don't know where to find them. We end up fishing everybody else out there besidses the walleye anyway I guess.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Detritus wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:00 pm I just found this thread Gerry. You guys catch a ton of walleye up there. My neighbor would be jealous. We caught 5 or 6 opening weekend and the one after down here, and that was it. Ate three of them. Once they move out of the river, we don't know where to find them. We end up fishing everybody else out there besidses the walleye anyway I guess.
Jack, walleyes are not easy to catch. We spent numerous hours jigging or trolling for them. I was very lucky this year as I only had 3 skunk outings.
I still prefer fishing salmon on Champlain but because of the closing of the borders I focused on walleyes near home.

I was blessed with excellent fishing partners who shared their knowledge.