NEK Fishing

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
Tire Jockey
Species: All

NEK Fishing

Post by Tire Jockey »

Made it up to camp last Thursday afternoon the weather was beautiful! Had stuff to do around camp on Friday so Saturday morning at the crack of dawn i headed out for Seymour Lake in Morgan.

First one at the launch super quiet on the water! Didn't take long for it to start getting hot, trolled around for a while with no hits, finally i picked up a small lake trout but that was it. Temp 30ft down was around 46! Weather was too nice! flat calm with no breeze at all.
Went back to Seymour on Sunday met my cousin and his son at the dock around 6:30 or so, did pretty much the same routine with the same results, one small Laker and lost another one. It was great getting back out on the water in the Kingdom!
Next stop was Lake Echo in Charleston on Tuesday morning, again it was pretty hot and not a lot of action, managed 3 small Lakers and lost 2.
Thursday morning i launched in Island Pond, first time fishing it in a boat! Did a little ice fishing there a couple of years ago. I was running one planer board with a fly and a split shot about 2 feet above it and a deep diving stick bait in hopes of a walleye. I was swapping out stick baits when i look over at the planer board flag is down and a really nice fish jumped out of the water! wasn't quick enough lost it :roll: Then the wind picked up, so i decided to take the stick bait off and throw a spoon on, blue and silver with a red eye, put that on a planer board with a split shot about 2 ft up, well it took about maybe 5 minutes and fish on! Great fight sucker was flying out of the water got it to the net!
Nice Rainbow 17 inches close to 2lbs, nice and fat!!
Left the boat up there heading back on Thursday afternoon for some more fishing!
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: NEK Fishing

Post by Dilly Worm »

Beautiful photos, I haven't fished Island Pond in a few years, reminds me I should head back some day... nice rainbow, and that's a great boat you have !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great report Wayne... love to hear the adventures up in those trolling gems... nice
Looking fish!
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report and pics.
Thanks for sharing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

Dilly Worm wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm Beautiful photos, I haven't fished Island Pond in a few years, reminds me I should head back some day... nice rainbow, and that's a great boat you have !
[/quo

Thanks! Bought it new in 2013, Love it!
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

Reelax wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:48 pm Great report Wayne... love to hear the adventures up in those trolling gems... nice
Looking fish!
I'll be on Willoughby Friday morning if everything goes as planned! Pretty excited about it haven't fished it yet!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Great report, Tire Jockey! My son and I fished Willoughby this past Saturday. It was pretty busy at the north end in front of the launch. There was a parade of boats "yanking" leadcore. I did mark a lot of fish in that area, but couldn't get a bite. Ran into the Chamberlain releases guy at the dock when I ran in to pick up my son. He said he had caught 3 nice rainbows at the south end on flies / 3 colors of lead. No flasher or anything. He said they 3 ranged from 22" to 25", and he kept the middle sized one because it was hooked badly. He showed it to us and it was a beauty ... ~3.5lbs or so.

With the south wind whipping pretty good, the north end was getting bumpy so we decided to give the south end a shot. We trolled south for a while and picked up a small laker on ~3 colors of lead and little #1 orange bikini Needlefish. We then picked up and buzzed right to the south end and the temp was way better down there. 52deg was only 20ft down (vs 45ft down at the north end). Trolled around for a while with no action and then trolling across the middle just about in line with the big spring on the east side of the lake (waterfall next to the road) we caught a nice fat 21" rainbow on 3 colors of lead with a small copper / orange spoon. This was approx 15' down over 188', trolling 2.5mph GPS. Our first Willo rainbow and probably the biggest open water fish we've ever caught there!

I keep going back about once per year, thinking one of these times were going to luck into one of the monsters that live there.

Good luck, Tire Jockey!
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

Crayfish wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 am Great report, Tire Jockey! My son and I fished Willoughby this past Saturday. It was pretty busy at the north end in front of the launch. There was a parade of boats "yanking" leadcore. I did mark a lot of fish in that area, but couldn't get a bite. Ran into the Chamberlain releases guy at the dock when I ran in to pick up my son. He said he had caught 3 nice rainbows at the south end on flies / 3 colors of lead. No flasher or anything. He said they 3 ranged from 22" to 25", and he kept the middle sized one because it was hooked badly. He showed it to us and it was a beauty ... ~3.5lbs or so.

With the south wind whipping pretty good, the north end was getting bumpy so we decided to give the south end a shot. We trolled south for a while and picked up a small laker on ~3 colors of lead and little #1 orange bikini Needlefish. We then picked up and buzzed right to the south end and the temp was way better down there. 52deg was only 20ft down (vs 45ft down at the north end). Trolled around for a while with no action and then trolling across the middle just about in line with the big spring on the east side of the lake (waterfall next to the road) we caught a nice fat 21" rainbow on 3 colors of lead with a small copper / orange spoon. This was approx 15' down over 188', trolling 2.5mph GPS. Our first Willo rainbow and probably the biggest open water fish we've ever caught there!

I keep going back about once per year, thinking one of these times were going to luck into one of the monsters that live there.

Good luck, Tire Jockey!
Wow that's great! Can't wait to get up there!