Big Inland Laker

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Big Inland Laker

Post by keithm87 »

The plan today was to head to Lake Harvey to scratch an itch, but my buddy backed out, so a last minute change of plans lead to fishing a different local lake. Headed out with my buddy Jacob who was along last year for the 22lb caspian pig.

We got to the lake at around 11:30, arriving to clouds, wind, and 46 degree air temps. We launched the boat into 65 degree surface water, and set gear, 2 riggers 25 and 32, a 2 color lead on a board, and a spoon with split shot on the other board.

We trolled around the lake with no hits, marking some fish, but as we expected going in the bite was not gang busters. After circling the lake we decided to swap some gear, as we worked on that I also finally got my iPad charged enough to turn on. Without it tracking my route I feel almost naked. I commented to Jacob, that we were officially fishing. With the new lure in and the iPad running I set course for a spot that I’ve always marked fish, though it’s never produced I was feeling it today. Jacob was working to change the other rigger lure when our rigger down 25 popped, it did a quick bob, I grabbed it and reeled down to take the slack out of the line.

When the line came tight it was like a log, then violent head shakes, and it took off, we were running 10lb test, and had the drag set fairly tight, but this fish didn’t care, I told Jacob it was a big fish and likely close to 20lb. The fish we have been looking for on this lake for a few years.

For the next 3-4 minutes I held the rod as the fish took drag, thumb on the spool for extra drag, but being sure to not be too heavy with it. Jacob cleared the lead core, backed the throttle off, and we began to gain some ground. The fish surfaced back 150ft, and I knew it was big. It dug down and swam at us. I took up line as fast as I could and soon I was fighting it vertical. I had Jacob take the boat out of gear, as last thing I wanted was it to cut off on the prop.
After a couple minutes I was able to pry it up and the new net (bought specifically because of last years “it won’t fit in the net” situation) came in handy. We hauled the fish into the boat, high fives and hollars ensued. We worked to de hook the fish, I readied the livewell, and we placed it in the well. We organized the gear, grabbed the fish and measured and weighed it, snapped a few pictures, put in on the boga grip revival system (boga grips with a rope that pulls the fish through the water to get water over the gills) it started to kick and swim down, we popped the Bogas and it swam away.

The rest of the day was uneventful, with 0 releases but that one fish was worth it!

Fish was caught 25 down over 70 ft of water off sharp structure drop, on a crazy ivan chicken pox that Jacob Brought and picked to run. The laker was 36.75 inches and 16lb 10oz
Attachments
076F18A0-1276-4723-94E8-82F986E79E29.jpeg
076F18A0-1276-4723-94E8-82F986E79E29.jpeg (223.13 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
5C83ED19-C5BB-4274-9329-FFFE39C7338E.jpeg
5C83ED19-C5BB-4274-9329-FFFE39C7338E.jpeg (241.87 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Re: Big Inland Laker

Post by Dilly Worm »

Beautiful lakers, congrats! I'm happier getting just 1 big fish all day rather than lots of little ones - good to see persistence going back to that spot finally paid off for you.
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Big lakers earned with lots of gas and effort.... Nice story and thanks for the report and look!
Matt B
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

Awesome story and another awesome lake trout picture! I was thinking about trying the bogo grips on a rope trick. I’ve seen a few guys on Lake Ontario use that system for releasing tired kings. I’ll have to try it!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice read Keith. Persistence pays off. You may need a bigger livewell.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Another awesome laker, Keith! Congrats!
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Congratulations on another fantastic laker Keith. You have certainly cemented your reputation as a Laker expert. I recently landed my personal best, a 12.6 lb 32 inch Laker. I am wondering when Lake Champlain will give up a 20 lber :?: Thanks for sharing your story. It was inspiring to read.