Mullett Lake Cheboygan Michigan

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Mullett Lake Cheboygan Michigan

Post by digitroll (ron) »

We are in Cheboygan Michigan visiting Barbara's family on our annual summer trip. Arrived at 2:00 pm today. Shakedown cruise on Rich's boat tonight for 2.5 hours with Lincoln and Rich. After 20 minutes had triples on with rainbows and a Cisco and finished the night 3 for 6. Great start for the week on the shakedown on Mullett Lake with Rich's 20 ft Starcraft. OffShore inline boards and lead was hot! Storming tomorrow and rainy but clear and nice the rest of the week in the 70's. :)

Short video of last nights shakedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4eoueIx7w

ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Re: Mullett Lake Cheboygan Michigan

Post by ATLSALMON »

Beautiful fish Ron hope you are enjoying your trip to that beautiful place on earth
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice pics Ron.
Wishing you a great time on your family vacation.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice to see fish with no lamprey scars... thanks for the update Ron, looking forward to more stories of how the trip goes.... :?:
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Thanks everyone! Hope to get out tomorrow. We had wind yesterday and today. Family stuff kept us busy though. High was only 64F today with brisk NW winds after the cold front went thru last night. Great weather next 3 days 75-80F projected highs. We did see a lot of activity on the sonar screen the other night so we are hopeful.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

your having fun ron with family and the fish are a bonus. looks very nice out there.
digitroll (ron)

Today it was in the low 40's at 7 am and sunny with steam coming off the water (later 62F at 10:00 am). Took my 5 year old nephew out Lincoln with my brother-in-law Richard on their boat for 3 hours trolling for rainbows again. Slow start but finished 2 for 4. Will try again this evening for a few hours before sunset. We did see a lot of fish on the sonar to keep us interested! Lincoln loves to fish!

ATLSALMON

Post by ATLSALMON »

Great job Ron You got me hooked rented a house on the Detour Passage for the last week in June 2020 can not wait
digitroll (ron)

Good plan for Detour next June. That is on my bucket list someday. Those big Atlantics are funneled there that time of year and a great destination! :) Awesome!

We were the only boat out last night and came up with no releases for nearly 2 hours till sunset. However, giving it a try with Chet my long time fishing buddy out here this am. And I did see 12 boats at sunset last night trolling for Walleye in a specific area coming in last night. Might try that tonight near sunset and an hour after.
digitroll (ron)

With everyone sleeping in this am I couldn't pass up a chance to get out fishing this am with my long time buddy Chet who was camera shy to hold the two big Rainbows he caught today. 24" and 25" close to 6 lbs. here on Mullett. Another cold morning at 47F and lots of fog and steam at 7 am when we set up.

the nearest capital one
digitroll (ron)

The first one was a female landed off a rigger in the fog. Number two was a male off an Offshore OR-19 board with 5 colors of lead. This was one of the best fights in years for this size of fish. Took 100 feet of mono off the reel on the strike and jumped 5 times. I honestly thought it was a double digit fish! To pull 5 colors of lead and an Offshore OR-19 board backwards it was truly a top 5 fight for a fish under 10 lbs for us in 40 years. They were wild fish not hatchery stocked. No fin clips! Tomorrow am is our last crack at Mullett Rainbows. Heading home Saturday. Been off Champlain fishing for over a month.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad you're having lots of fun. That's what vacations are for. Enjoy your last day with lots of very tight lines and bent rods.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Awesome morning fished 7:30-11:50. Lost a corker that burned half the spool on a rigger rod. We had 5 Rainbows on today and one almost to the net and landed 2. Nice finish to a great 3 days. Three 2 hour evenings and three 4 hour mornings. We missed getting out due to the wind Monday and Tuesday. The 4 Offshore inline OR-19 boards were fantastic this week on rainbows using 5/6/7/10 color lead core. The two riggers only had 4 bites this week. 90% of our bites off lead behind Inline boards. The new Fish Hawk portable X-2 was huge for current and temps we were dialing them in at. Lot of experimentation this week and coming back to Champlain with some ammo for Landlocks and Steelies. Made up a one page summary for next year when we return here to try again! I like the tweaking and today it felt like it all came together with our dialed in program. This was our 4th year fishing Mullett Lake. Heading home tomorrow am.

Thank you's for : Mark Romanack (Fishing 411) / Chet Clark my fantastic driver and fishing partner / Richard Pilon (owner of the 20 ft Starcraft Holiday boat powered by a 115 hp E-Tec.) / Fish Hawk Electronics / Offshore Tackle

Imagegas near me diesel
ATLSALMON

Post by ATLSALMON »

Ron I want to invite u up to fish the Finger Lakes with me for wild rainbows too.
digitroll (ron)

ATLSALMON wrote:Ron I want to invite u up to fish the Finger Lakes with me for wild rainbows too.
That sounds awesome! I love the way these fish jump and fight!

Been off Champlain for a month now and we landed this 6 lb 25" Master Angler beauty yesterday here August 5th after returning Sunday from Michigan. We passed on entering it in the LCI Basin as it was too beautiful with no lamprey scars to kill. Left vent clip. I am rethinking entering the Basin derby next year after 5 years of doing it. I hate to kill these beautiful fish when they get this size. Prefer to see them swim away for someone else to enjoy as they get even larger. I like the Master Angler program by the Vermont Fish and Wildlife and clicking the "Released" button.

Here is a short video of the last minute of the fight yesterday on my You Tube channel "Link":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htEHpotNTSc

Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.