Caspian Monster Pics and Video

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Caspian Monster Pics and Video

Post by keithm87 »

Just posting this for you folks story will follow!

22lb 41 inches
Attachments
144F21F0-0305-4AED-9A06-65612192ABEB.jpeg
144F21F0-0305-4AED-9A06-65612192ABEB.jpeg (133.41 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Last edited by keithm87 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Biggest fish of my life! Live caspian report

Post by tmcaul »

Way to go, Keith. That is a hog laker!
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Vinny Jacob and I decided since the big lake has a flea problem to get in our last couple small water trips of the year before we go to champ and get fleas on all the gear.
We launched at 7:15 after chatting with a guy in the lot who said nobody had been getting much other than short lakers. Business as usual for caspian. We headed out to the back section of the lake and set 6 lines, 3 lead, 3!riggers. We soon had the first fish a tiny laker. We picked away at small lakers trying to find a keeper size one for Vinny to take for dinner, but kept coming short. We switched gear around trying to find the right combo, but weren’t really finding anything. I decided to switch my deep rigger to a spoon that does well on champ, a 2 inch Michigan stinger tuxedo. The lure has seen some fish, and is pretty worn, with one of the trebles missing, but it still produces.
After it was in for about 5 minutes the middle rigger fires, and Vinny was up, he set the hook, and drag started to go out. Just a slow tick out, we were over 75fow and the rigger was down 35, so not bottom. I grab the net, but he can’t get the fish to Budge, just ticking drag, then slack line, then he feels a fish again, but not what was first there. A little 12 incher.

Vinny worked to reset that rod, and I was messing with another rod swapping a lure when the deep rigger fires. Vinny grabbed it and set the hook, but had 2 rods in his hand and handed me the one that just popped to finish setting the other. I take it and give a tug, and just feel weight. I ALWAYS run 20 lb test on the deep rigger, but since the fish on caspian tend small I had done 10lb with a basic twist and through knot. I try to budge the fish, but it just digs for bottom ticking drag out. I feel head shakes, the rod is doubled over completely and I can’t move the fish. This stalemate lasts for 10 minutes until we decide to back the motor off and pull gear. Vinny works to pull the gear while jacob drives, as Vinny pulls the middle rigger he gets tension on the rod, he is wrapped with the fish. We let that line go slack, get the riggers and balls out of the water, and I am finally gaining on the fish.
We get the fish up, and come across one of my hairbrain ideas (couldn’t find the right snaps for fixed cheaters so I used a or12 snap to hold the cheater down, but now need to get it off with a big fish on. After a couple tense moment Vinny gets the snap off, and I step forward and reel down to the fish.
We get a glimpse of color and I say “I think it’s doubles” to which Vinny replies “oh my god it’s a monster” and then keeps yelling oh my god. That helps really push home the point that I can’t screw this up. We get it to the surface and Vinny takes the Egos2 and slides it under the fish, but the fish is too big for the net, it is only half in. Then the unthinkable happens the line breaks (really my knot let go). Vinny gives the net an extra push and the fishes head goes down the net and the tail just barely goes in. He works to get the extended net back in, and lifts the fish in the boat.
We used choice words in our joy screaming loud enough that the whole lake could hear I’m sure. We got the fish out of the net and started to make a plan, pictures measurements, then back in the net to weigh it. Tossed ice in the live well and started to fill it. Took a few pictures and put it in the well. At that point I was not sure if I would keep it or not. I’m in the basin derby, so a fish of that size would have had a payment next spring, but the ol girl had also spent 30+ years on caspian seeing every lure known to man without messing up, and everyone deserves a mulligan. In the well the fish started to regain strength, tail kicks and all, so we decided to use the bogas to pull her and see if she would swim next to the boat. She immediately gave a few big tail kicks, and I squeezed the Boga release and she swam away.

We spent 20 minutes in shock, and then got gear back in the water. Spent the rest of the day picking away trying to find a keeper, and finally got lucky with a nice 19.5 rainbow on a 2 color lead. We trolled in, as the goal was off water loaded at 3. as we trolled in, we had 3 rods go off right as we hit the 40fow mark where we needed to pull gear. 2 small lakers and an acrobatic rainbow.

In all we boat 19-20 fish from 7:15-2:30 with the big 22.25 laker 41 inches long and a girth over 20 inches, the head was 9 inches from snout to end of gill plate, and the tail was way bigger than jacobs hand.
Attachments
300062AD-2E79-4ED7-8853-D4C94C5B50E4.jpeg
300062AD-2E79-4ED7-8853-D4C94C5B50E4.jpeg (203.54 KiB) Viewed 3406 times
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Congratulations on a beautiful Laker I very much enjoyed the story again congrats Kieth
So many Lures So little Time
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Great story and unbelievable fish, congratulations Keith! I can think of no other fisherman that deserves a huge laker more than you. It is exciting to know that there are lakers around of that caliber. I'm looking forward to getting back on the water..
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Beauty fish!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great story Keith. Congrats on catching your biggest fish, and very nice gesture releasing it.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Congrats Keith. That fish looks like it would have come out of Great Bear Lake in the North West Territories. Do you know what the record Lake Trout is from Caspian?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

congrats Keitha... a fish of a lifetime!!!!
Matt B
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Sawyer wrote:Congrats Keith. That fish looks like it would have come out of Great Bear Lake in the North West Territories. Do you know what the record Lake Trout is from Caspian?
I think the biggest out of caspian is like 31-32lb so this wasn’t there, but I don’t think that there have to my knowledge been any this big out if there in the last 5 or so years. I think there was a 27-28 in like 2009 or so.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

keith i enjoyed your story and you got a lifetime laker there but you know there are bigger keep chasing. for a moment on facebook i thought that was tank i was chasing on champlain. congratulations.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

I already mentioned this was a great fish. But your story of struggling to catch it was also great. Also like the fact that you released it.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Here is the video of he catch

https://youtu.be/LIACZNVc6hc
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Glad you were able to video that catch.
Very exciting moment that will last a lifetime.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Fishmore603
Species: Trout/salmon

Re: Caspian Monster Pics and Video

Post by Fishmore603 »

Awesome fish. Great story. Congratulations