"Ultra light" Fanatic!!!

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Re: "Ultra light" Fanatic!!!

Post by The River Rat »

27" 7.5 lb eye off 4# test 7' ul
A White
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Way to go, Andy!

I started trout fishing in VT with a 5 1/2' ultralight rod. Used heavier line than you, however...4 lb. mono. However, the first week or two of trout season I used a 6' light action rod with 6 lb mono when I bounced the bottom of pools with a crawler. All used for stream fishing.

Many times out on Champlain I have wondered about using lighter gear. But maybe it's not such a great idea...

Today we lost a big fish in Converse that broke off a 10lb leader. Before that we caught a 3 1/2-4 lb salmon on a dipsey. Then we caught the biggest fish of the season, a huge freshwater drum. More than 15 lbs for sure. I think it would be hard to land any of these fish on lightweight gear. Could be wrong, but dipseys and flashers would really test lightweight line. So would the stern planer with a torpedo weight and 200+ ft of line out which snagged the salmon and hooked the fish we lost.

I know there is somebody out there using ultralight gear on Champlain. Maybe he'll share his experiences.

Keep up the good work down south and east.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Yeah it's definitely tough to "lighten" up with any methods that have any sort of excess drag involved.... dipsy, boards, flasher/dodger ect... I lost a couple flie and doger set ups back on one of our first outtings on Champ early this spring, to solid fish, 6# main from lead to dodger and 4# to the flie... both times the 6# broke ahead of the dodger?! That said it was also on a day that almost no one was even getting strikes... so it takes some practice for sure. I have a book from the early 70's on a guy who trolled the great lakes for kings using 12-16' noodle rods spooled with 2# mono and was well respected for both size and numbers of fish he caught. I believe he straight up long lined flies and also mini stick/crank baits. It's pretty amazing how much force you get with the right setup. Be patient helps! Good luck... sounds like you and your son have had a great season. Hope yo see you soon
A White