Harriman Res

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Harriman Res

Post by Trackertroller »

Hit our local lake for some fishing at 4:30am today before all the crazy pleasure boats came out.

Harriman is a beautiful lake, approx 3200 acres or 5 miles of water.

The issue with this lake is that it's a hydro lake.
The state stocks salmon, lake trout, browns, bows and brookies.

In the winter, the power company releases a lot of water, probably dropping the water level 20-30'.

The lake does have native smelt, and the record brown trout comes from the hydro lake just below this one as the smelt go through the turbines and it's a feeding frenzy.

For some reason the fish never really get big, or the big ones are so smart that we have never landed a fish over 5# which was a brown.

Today we caught 7 salmon, 1 brown and 1 rainbow trolling
Casting we caught perch and smallmouth.

Pretty good day on our terms for that lake. Biggest was the rainbow at 14".

Funny but all fish came on 1 crazy Ivan spoon except 2 fish.
Hex copper with a blackish strip down the middle and an eye on a slide diver 60' back.

All fish came between 20-30'

We do send lines deeper 40-60' down where we mark lots of fish, those just never want to play

Happy Independence Day to all!!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: Harriman Res

Post by jimbow »

Thanks for posting, good info, sounds like a fun day on the water. 8-)
MWM
Species: Salmon

Post by MWM »

Nice report and results! Harriman is a much closer trip than Champlain for us, but haven't trolled over there in years. We ice fish it and do well on perch, smelt, and the occasional brookie. Its funny, feels like your in a pit walking on ice due to the amount of water they let out each winter. Beautiful spot none the less!

Matt
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice post Jeremy, great place to fish, it's too bad they couldn't ever keep a more constant water level there, I think it would really help the fishing. I'll be back someday.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

MWM

I've lived in this valley for 29 years, the fishing has changed since Irene

My best salmon was 20" but skinny maybe 3#'s

Been working hard for a laker as ice fisherman tell me they catch them in the winter.
But it's an unforgivable lake with lots of debris and rock, hard to get near the bottom

My new garmin, if I put a chip in it I can map the lake
Just trying to figure out how big of chip!!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

An old timer once told me he caught Lakers there yanking copper with a 1 lb weight , using the old Lake Clear Wobbler
MWM
Species: Salmon

Post by MWM »

Jeremy, I can only imagin the contour of the bottom of Harriman. Unique to say the least, better get the biggest chip you can find! I'm sure some interesting stuff made its way to the depth's during Irene to add to the unforgivableness.
I have seen lakers pulled thur the ice, a guy who fishes with us jigs up smelt and throws em on tip ups. Seems to get 1 or 2 a trip this way. He catch the occasional fall fish using this method too. For the life of me I can not get a smallmouth to bite while on the ice, funny how the fishing and species are finicky there. I'm sure anyone could spend a lifetime on that waterbody learning new stuff each trip!