Lake Memphremagog Salmon

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Lake Memphremagog Salmon

Post by Ahhspray »

Yeah I know this is LCU but I can't always get there and I've learned SO MUCH from folks on this forum that I thought I'd post this anyway. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes...

I had my shakedown, late as it was, today. Went to Lake Memphremagog. Helped get the wife and kids out the door this morning so I had a very late start. Had lines in the water by 9. Marked no fish. Marked no bait. Motored north. Water was 46. Found 50.5 water, still nothing.
Didn't bother with bringing the riggers so I'll try a planer board out ...damn, left them at home. I went with 2 colors of lead with a rotation of honeybees in different sizes and colors and a long flatline with stickbaits. Moved the bees to the flatline with a small split shot in front and moved the stickballs to the lead. Nothing by noon. Moved into an area where no one was fishing so I could anchor and make a couple engine adjustments, change up my spread and enjoy the views.

Back out trolling by 1. Still had trouble finding much bait. ...or fish. Tried a dodger/fly on the surface, tried a dodger/plug down 10. Tried faster, tried slower. Went upwind, went downwind, went crosswind. Put a bee in the prop wash. Put a deep diving white stickbait in the prop wash and instantly a 22" lake trout at 2.8mph with the wind to my back. What the? Okay, so I swapped to sticks and shades of white. Released the Laker and made my turn to get a second pass...

Over 6 hours after I started and BAM! 3 colors and a 6" stickbait straight back yielded this very good leaping, clean, personal best Salmon. 30" and 9.5lbs and lots of girth...
Imageimage hosting no accountcertificity.com
Imagescreen grabcertificity.com
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Re: Lake Memphremagog Salmon

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Congrats!!!! A real trophy for sure!! Magog is so overlooked in my opinion !!! Thanks for the post!!! Sleeps
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Congratulations, that is one special fish. You have learned the best salmon fishing lesson of all, perseverance.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow, that is the nicest salmon I have ever seen out of that lake... You nailed it!!! Are you gonna mount it?

See ya tomorrow...
Matt B
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

C-Hawk wrote:Congratulations, that is one special fish. You have learned the best salmon fishing lesson of all, perseverance.
Thanks! Salmon, in general, are special for sure. I've got confidence to persevere with other species but salmon are new to me over the last few years and I've lacked that level of confidence. I think this fish has helped me gain some though.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

Sleepswithdafishes wrote:Congrats!!!! A real trophy for sure!! Magog is so overlooked in my opinion !!! Thanks for the post!!! Sleeps
Thanks and Agreed!
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

Reelax wrote:Wow, that is the nicest salmon I have ever seen out of that lake... You nailed it!!! Are you gonna mount it?

See ya tomorrow...
Cheers Reelax! Thanks for all of your posts along the way so far. I've tried to copy what you experienced guys do and adapt to where I usually fish. I feel like it'd be more appropriate to divvy this fish up amongst all of the LCU members I've learned from than to just share with my family. As to mounting, not sure my wife wants it on the wall. A pic is totally fine with me and I'd rather eat it and put the "mounting money" towards gas for the next trip. ...I think it'll get me my salmon Master Angler though!

Can't make DYP tomorrow unfortunately. I have a meeting that I committed to a few days before I heard about the DYP date. I hope I wasn't paired with someone?!?
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats. This is a very beautiful salmon. Your perseverance paid off. Thanks for sharing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
browntown
Species: Ones with fins

Post by browntown »

That is an awesome fish!!!

Love the NEK
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Wow, that's a truly incredible fish, congrats!
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Nice fish! I always knew that those Sea Rays have fishy hulls! (Serenity Now, DA 300)
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Great Fish!

That's the way you are supposed to fish for salmon when things are tough. Great read and enjoyed the progression through your weapons. This should be an inspirational message to all levels of expertise.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Wow!!! I have always wanted to chase salmon up there, but its such a hike. Looks like it may be worth it to do this spring.
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

Ha. Thanks All! I was pretty jazzed to say the least. On the way out I met some other anglers at the ramp, shared some good stories, helped me load my boat(no dock yet) and capped the day.

After weighing on an accurate home food scale she came in at 9lbs and 15oz. I think that I bled at least 1oz of blood from her while on the water and that added to the puked up smelt would have made it a 10lb salmon. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it. :lol:

Keith - drop me a line if you head this way, its always nice to have company and be able to set extra lines. All I need is an excuse.

Took my time and wasted very little and ended up with 6lbs of very nice boneless filets.

Imageimage hosting no accountcertificity.com
Imagepost a picturecertificity.com
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

...girth was 17.5"