Cottage Country

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
plantstone

Cottage Country

Post by plantstone »

Took a family trip to Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) and brought my rods. I've spent many summers up there fishing for bass, but it had been three years since I'd been there and these past three years have been my gateway to cool water fishing. So, I packed a slide diver into the arsenal just in case...
The fishing set up there is minimalist. Tin-thin with outboard, no depth finder, no navonics, no rod holders (subbed a cinderblock). So I look at the charts find an area where there is a nice contour change into deep water, toss out the slide dive and wait. Not to long though! Before I knew it, A beauty 4lb laker is up to the boat. Alright! After visiting Georgian bay for thirty years, I pull out my first trout. So I reset the line and wait. Not quite knowing the underwater terrain, I think I've hit bottom when the cinderblock rod holder goes tumbling over -- but there's a nice tug at the end so I start to play a new personal best 9lb Steelie :D :D :D
All jazzed up from my catch, I head back to land to put in some family time and clean some fish. All the cousins couldn't believe it, so I became a charter captain. From 3 yr olds to fifteen years old, over the next few days I load up the youngsters and put them on some beautiful lake trout. (Even the big ones are pretty, nice orange tinge to the fins) 3 over 10 lbs, 1 @ 13 lbs, and the whopper 16lber my cousin reeled in -- his first fish ever!

What do you do with a boat load of fish? Head out to an island for a picnic!

And then, my fish tail.... Just after we caught the 16 lb laker, the rod bends over a drag is screaming. I gain nothing and the fish is fighting like a tornado. Then all is quite. When I bring up the line - lure is there - hook is not. That monster flattened/ broke the metal o ring conneting the treble hook the lure :o :evil: :evil: Didn't know that was possible.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Cottage Country

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Capt., nice story and nice fish!.

Kids seems to enjoy !
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Captain Forrest, that's awesome stuff man. Congrats on the big steel head! Love the trout head watching it's flesh cook to nourish the hungry fisherman and family.
Fishing from the little boat was innovative, innovative, innovative...nicely done.
Great Cottage Country...I've always wanted to visit that side of Huron.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
MWM
Species: Salmon

Post by MWM »

Looks like a great trip! Nice pic's too.
Matt
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Awesome and productive trip. Lots of happy folks. Love the pic of the fish head. LOL :D Great to meet you the other day as well!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Very Very nice!!!! What a great steelie !!! Nice pics!! First fish a 16lb Laker where do you go from there?? Looks like a vacation that will never be forgotten!!!! Sleeps
macdaddyjb82
Species: Pike Walleye Bass

Post by macdaddyjb82 »

Great pics!!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That's a nice report.
Great pics, love the smiles on kid faces, great memories they will share forever.

You really hammered those fish...
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Very nice Steelhead and pretty Lakers Forrest! Georgian Bay has some great fishing I have heard. Slide divers are a great weapon for any boat. Great story and results with the kids.
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater

Post by Shake-n-Bake »

Nice report and pics! Good times!
See you on the pond!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

that was a really nice story with wonderful pictures,looks like everyone had a good time and that's what it's all about.Man,those are real pretty lake trout :D
pete
Species: salmon.steelhead,laketrout,bro

Post by pete »

Very nice Forrest!!
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

That was a great report, thanks for sharing, loving all those smiles, awesome steel!!!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

What a hog!!! Congrats!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Forrest:

Really Fantastic! Getting the next generation "hooked up" is what it's all about. While I am sure that they were all very happy, you have to be thrilled with the results yourself. It shows just how well your "cold" water knowledge has improved.

Split rings break, occasionally. The manufacturing process and their design requires good quality control. I would be afraid to purchase cheap substitutes, but Worth Co. and Rosco are pretty reliable. Don't scrimp here! If you are stuck with the cheap solution, hit it with a small amount of epoxy. Changing hooks should be done with a new ring. (OPINION) / Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen