Lake Memphramagog

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Lake Memphramagog

Postby tmcaul » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 am

My son is likely to be moving to Newport next summer. Taking his boat with him. Any reports on that lake? Looking at the VT Master Angler entries, the lake is kind of like Lake Champlain with both cold and warm water species: landlocked salmon, rainbows, good bass fishing, etc.

Tom
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Lake Memphramagog

Postby Reelax » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 am

From what I hear the salmon are hard to troll up in the summer unless you venture into Canada, as the deep water is mostly nord. The salmon can be caught in VT in the colder months when they are in the skinny water....
Matt B

keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Postby keithm87 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:27 pm

As Reelax said, most coldwater fishing in the peak of summer will be north of the border. The vermont side max depth is only around 40FT. There are a couple forum members who fish it though, and I think there was a post 2 years back of a 9lb salmon caught in the spring trolling on the VT side. Spring and fall I think people do troll it, and it gets fished heavily through the ice. There are runs of Bows, Browns, and Salmon into the rivers (Clyde, barton, black), used to be a huge walleye lake, but that has fallen off, but they still get them occasionally. Pike fishing is really picking up on the VT side of the lake.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Postby Wallyandre (Andre) » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Starting mid-may salmon are lcoming in the Canadian side w/o stopping at the border so they are in Canada illegally. Guys are trolling and jigging for them in the summer; yes, jigging for salmon.
Has for thee fishing in the winter there is a few hard core that manage to put 12ft alum. boat in the water when not frozen and through ice but pressure is nothing compare to the Frosbite crew, main reason is that the access are not easy., private or cities block the access.