anyone out there familiar with propane augers

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
fishy1
Species: many species

anyone out there familiar with propane augers

Post by fishy1 »

i am looking at the jiffy lite propane augers and was wondering if anyone on the forum has one or has any experience with them at all. the reviews i have read are mostly good but most were new out of the box. any pros and cons would be appreciated.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: anyone out there familiar with propane augers

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

I was just talking to a avid ice fisherman yesterday and the subject fall on the propane auger; he "was" a Jiffy user but he is now using a propane auger. No smell,no dirt etc... The only thing it's when it's getting very very cold around -15 it doesn't start. As he said at that cold is stay home. Another thing is for the guys that drill holes inside there is no smell, no fire hazard etc...
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:I was just talking to a avid ice fisherman yesterday and the subject fall on the propane auger; he "was" a Jiffy user but he is now using a propane auger. No smell,no dirt etc... The only thing it's when it's getting very very cold around -15 it doesn't start. As he said at that cold is stay home. Another thing is for the guys that drill holes inside there is no smell, no fire hazard etc...
thanks for the info. i saw somewhere where they sell something to wrap the 1lb propane bottle to keep it from freezing. my jiffy gas auger i had i was out in -15 and it seized up because of the ethanol and water. thats why im looking at a new jiffy lite propane. i cut alot of holes during the winter and looking for something easier and more dependable.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

fishy1 wrote:
Wallyandre (Andre) wrote:I was just talking to a avid ice fisherman yesterday and the subject fall on the propane auger; he "was" a Jiffy user but he is now using a propane auger. No smell,no dirt etc... The only thing it's when it's getting very very cold around -15 it doesn't start. As he said at that cold is stay home. Another thing is for the guys that drill holes inside there is no smell, no fire hazard etc...
thanks for the info. i saw somewhere where they sell something to wrap the 1lb propane bottle to keep it from freezing. my jiffy gas auger i had i was out in -15 and it seized up because of the ethanol and water. thats why im looking at a new jiffy lite propane. i cut alot of holes during the winter and looking for something easier and more dependable.

I own an Ion Electric auger, which I love. Only downside is the battery life gets drained in the cold. With my 4" auger head on it, I can pop out over 80 holes on a single charge when the weather is above 35 or so, but when it's in the single digits, 50 holes maybe. (This is 20" of ice) But, I have an extra battery, and have never ran out of juice for a full days fishing. The 6" that comes with the auger will get you 50-60 holes in 20" of ice when it's not frigid. I'm the type of person that will not stop cutting holes until I find fish.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

I have seen that only Propane augers have this feature...

a little beer and blackberry brandy and let the fun begin.... :lol:

Fish On!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i ordered a jiffy lite propane 8 inch auger from reeds in minnesota. the price was right at $429 and free shipping. after reading lots of reviews on the jiffy propane augers i went with the lite . it weighs 7 or 8 lbs less than the the regular jiffy propane auger which is a plus for me pulling my portable and gear. it will cut 220 ice holes of 24 inches with one 1 lb propane tank.
Fishmedic
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishmedic »

I have the Jiiffy pro 8 " propane and love it. Only way to go. As mentioned no smell, no mixing gas and is quiet. Used it for two years now and never a problem. Starts 1 or 2 pulls and has plenty of power.

PLEASE if used inside your shelter have adequate ventilation as it still gives off CO fumes.

Stay safe and catch plenty of ICE :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
To fish or not to fish ??
What a Dumb question !!!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Fishmedic wrote:I have the Jiiffy pro 8 " propane and love it. Only way to go. As mentioned no smell, no mixing gas and is quiet. Used it for two years now and never a problem. Starts 1 or 2 pulls and has plenty of power.

PLEASE if used inside your shelter have adequate ventilation as it still gives off CO fumes.

Stay safe and catch plenty of ICE :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim
thank you jim. i have read lots of reviews and every seems to be very happy with them. most of the minor problems i saw where that had to make idle adjustments. did you? do you like the blades on your jiffy? ill be safe thank you and will probably never use it in any shelter. i have a one man fish trap pro pull over and it would be very hard to use it indoors. when we get safe ice i will be using it mostly every day in different locations and some places i will have to pull my sled and gear down banks and travel some distances at times so thats why i went with the lite. i had a jiffy stx gas 8 inch and it seized up on me in the cold weather last winter thanks to the ethanol.