Keep your trucks on shore

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
mudchuck
Species: perch

Re: Keep your trucks on shore

Post by mudchuck »

Sunday's catch before filleting

After filleting

This evening's catch - 1 & 3/4 pails full in 2 hours...was wicked hard not to have a fish on within 3 seconds of droping the jig down the hole...flasher was lit up almost solid red from 3 feet off the bottom to 3 feet under the ice in 16 FOW almost the entire time. I think we're losing the battle on eradicating this invasive species, but I'm sure having fun trying :)
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Sweet catch! I think tomorrow may be my last day out there, and on the ice. Anyone know how bad the water is on top of the ice out there?
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

Matt wrote:Sweet catch! I think tomorrow may be my last day out there, and on the ice. Anyone know how bad the water is on top of the ice out there?

Hey Matt! I have been out there last three days and as long as it drops below freezing at night then the top is solid when you walk out. There is still a good 15 inches of ice. Around 1 in the afternoon the top will get slushy in spots. There is no standing water to speak of but with this rain coming tonight who knows. Be careful of burn holes. I saw a few about a foot and a half wide. They freeze over at night but the ice over them is only an inch thick or so. Don't really need a motor auger. Most of the previous holes can be kicked back open. The bite was strange today with one spot turning on hard for an hour or so then it would die off. Just had to follow them around. My best luck can in 11 feet of water. I searched for them a little out by the green buoy in deep water but nothing was there. They were there the day before but not today. People were using a variety of bait and everyone seemed to have success. All of my success came on a blue and silver Hali baited with a rubber spike. The shore melts by the time you walk off but there is still a few places to walk on and off by Kill Kare.
Good luck!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Del Gue wrote:
Matt wrote:Sweet catch! I think tomorrow may be my last day out there, and on the ice. Anyone know how bad the water is on top of the ice out there?

Hey Matt! I have been out there last three days and as long as it drops below freezing at night then the top is solid when you walk out. There is still a good 15 inches of ice. Around 1 in the afternoon the top will get slushy in spots. There is no standing water to speak of but with this rain coming tonight who knows. Be careful of burn holes. I saw a few about a foot and a half wide. They freeze over at night but the ice over them is only an inch thick or so. Don't really need a motor auger. Most of the previous holes can be kicked back open. The bite was strange today with one spot turning on hard for an hour or so then it would die off. Just had to follow them around. My best luck can in 11 feet of water. I searched for them a little out by the green buoy in deep water but nothing was there. They were there the day before but not today. People were using a variety of bait and everyone seemed to have success. All of my success came on a blue and silver Hali baited with a rubber spike. The shore melts by the time you walk off but there is still a few places to walk on and off by Kill Kare.
Good luck!
Sounds good, I'll be out there with some friends tomorrow. Hopefully my last day on the ice is a good one!
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Hey Matt, was nice fishing with oyu today, likely my last day hardwater fishing.
That wind was brutal as the day wore on, but the catch was fun.
Too bad the white perch catch has overwhelmed the market, they're probably not going to buy anymore white's for a while since the G.L. region, Canada & Chesapeake are sending too many into the market at once.
Can't wait for ice out and some bullpout, then hit the rivers for some trout.
Catch ya around, maybe at the Salmon Hole soon!
Rick
Matt

Post by Matt »

Yeah it was an incredible day and the bite only got hotter after you left. I had fish from. Bottom to 1 foot under the ice. I was getting so many I was only fishing 3 feet below my hole and just pulling them up. Then later on my friend went into the cove in 8 fow and found the hogs. Friend ended up w a salmon too! A nice hen prob 4 lbs. Once we moved to the new spot we got into huge fish. Dozens over a lb. Two of my friends left around 3 and cashed out something like 340 lbs. At the end of the day I totaled out at about 6 buckets! 3 buckets full and a full sled! I'll be out there tomorrow again and finish off my hard water season with yet another bang. I'll upload pics after tomorrow.