Keep your trucks on shore

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Keep your trucks on shore

Post by jusfishin »

Was fishing St. Albans Bay yesterday, and watched a truck go through. The wardens were checking our license's at the time, and I said...hey you may want to go, that truck just dropped through...and off they went running. The driver got out ok, but his truck is fubared for sure. While there is a ton of ice still, the cracks have a sh-t ton of water pouring into them...there is ALOT of water on the ice...and it is pouring down every hole it can find. Just my 2 cents, but keep em on shore from here on out......!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Keep your trucks on shore

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the word Scott, wonder who the unlucky guy was...
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

jusfishin wrote:Was fishing St. Albans Bay yesterday, and watched a truck go through. The wardens were checking our license's at the time, and I said...hey you may want to go, that truck just dropped through...and off they went running. The driver got out ok, but his truck is fubared for sure. While there is a ton of ice still, the cracks have a sh-t ton of water pouring into them...there is ALOT of water on the ice...and it is pouring down every hole it can find. Just my 2 cents, but keep em on shore from here on out......!
I was hearing about that while I was fishing in the same area as you. Why anyone would be driving on that ice in those conditions is just beyond me...some spots had 15" holes through the ice, and 5" of water. Did you join in on the white perch harvest? My girlfriend and I filled 2 buckets within a few hours and left because we didn't feel like filling up my sled and putting it into a newly cleaned car, ha! My friends stayed and had a total of 250 lbs at the end of the day.
jusfishin

Post by jusfishin »

Hey Matt,
We were right next to you, and had similar results. Good fishing for sure. Chico slide in with you guys, we were just inside you by 20 yds. We left around 330 and your friends were still pounding on them.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

yep, saw that truck go in too right after warden checked us out.
took my kid & his friend, we didn't get on them like everyone else did on Saturday, was wierd, we had spikes & minnows and the whites didn't want them...but earlier in the week they were hammering the minnows.
Went out Sunday and filled a pail to overflowing, whites liked the crawlers better than minnows..
Sure is a lot of fish to fillet, got thru half that pail last night and will be doing the rest tonight...can anyone say FISH FRY?!
Matt

Post by Matt »

jusfishin wrote:Hey Matt,
We were right next to you, and had similar results. Good fishing for sure. Chico slide in with you guys, we were just inside you by 20 yds. We left around 330 and your friends were still pounding on them.
Not sure who you were exactly. There were about 4 different groups following fish, some I'd seen before, others were new faces to me. They caught just under 250 lbs, went back Sunday and apparently caught another 150 lbs. A friend has been there solo since Sunday and is averaging 150 lbs a day as well. Can't believe how many fish are stacked up in there.

For whatever reason, when they're out near that point, they don't seem to hit minnows and white bibets as often as the other spot in that bay. Probably because the average size there is smaller. I noticed they seemed to hit spikes on small tungsten jigs in almost any color, but orange and charteuse were good for us. Bibets tipped with a minnow head or piece of worm worked as well. Every once in a while, they'd eat a minnow (the big girls) but mostly the bite was pretty light compared to a month ago. Either way, the fishing has been awesome out there...I'm worried about the water buildup on the ice for this weekend, but only time will tell. I'm eager to hit the rivers anyway...only 9 more days. Definitely a record year for me in terms of numbers of fish caught.
luntfrnd
Species: silver and gold

Post by luntfrnd »

What do you do with all these white perch?? I've heard they are good eating but I've yet to try them.
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

luntfrnd wrote:What do you do with all these white perch?? I've heard they are good eating but I've yet to try them.
Justin, fillet them and fry them, or parboil them then flake them up and make fish cakes out of them by mixing seasoned bread crumbs in with some Worschestshire sauce, a beaten egg and some mayo, then fry them in oil until browned on both sides...they're quite tasty!
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Do you cook them in a pan?
Do you cook them with some SPAM?
Try them, try them
Sam I Am...

Sorry, couldn't resist. They're a pain in the ass fish when going after salmon, but if your fishing with kids, they're fun, and I think they taste good. Although I can't imagine having that many. Or filleting that many.
________
Mike
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

Cas wrote:Do you cook them in a pan?
Do you cook them with some SPAM?
Try them, try them
Sam I Am...

Sorry, couldn't resist. They're a pain in the ass fish when going after salmon, but if your fishing with kids, they're fun, and I think they taste good. Although I can't imagine having that many. Or filleting that many.

YUM! SPAM
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

Matt wrote:
jusfishin wrote:Hey Matt,
Not sure who you were exactly. There were about 4 different groups following fish, some I'd seen before, others were new faces to me. They caught just under 250 lbs, went back Sunday and apparently caught another 150 lbs. A friend has been there solo since Sunday and is averaging 150 lbs a day as well. Can't believe how many fish are stacked up in there.

For whatever reason, when they're out near that point, they don't seem to hit minnows and white bibets as often as the other spot in that bay. Probably because the average size there is smaller. I noticed they seemed to hit spikes on small tungsten jigs in almost any color, but orange and charteuse were good for us. Bibets tipped with a minnow head or piece of worm worked as well. Every once in a while, they'd eat a minnow (the big girls) but mostly the bite was pretty light compared to a month ago. Either way, the fishing has been awesome out there...I'm worried about the water buildup on the ice for this weekend, but only time will tell. I'm eager to hit the rivers anyway...only 9 more days. Definitely a record year for me in terms of numbers of fish caught.
Matt, had the same results as you did, minnows on Satuday and nothing would bite, crawlers on Sunday and hammered them
jusfishin

Post by jusfishin »

Matt,
Yes, the bite is off the charts up there......the last 2 days have been incredible. The guys next to me sold 455lbs the day before yesterday with 2 guys. Your right, the white bibbets are slowing up, yesterday was a fly bite, they were still hittiing the bibbets some, but you couldn't keep flies down. Any color, any size, didnt seem to matter.....
luntfrnd
Species: silver and gold

Post by luntfrnd »

I got a nice batch of yellow bellies I'd like to try making fish cakes with. That sounds good.
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

For those of you that have fished St. Albans bay as recently as this past weekend probably have seen the dumptruck driving around on the ice, well guess that guy gambled a little too much...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/arti ... ck_check=1
Matt

Post by Matt »

luntfrnd wrote:What do you do with all these white perch?? I've heard they are good eating but I've yet to try them.
I have a few friends and family members that I give my fish to. My freezer has been full for a while now, so they're all charity fish lately. I don't see a point in selling mine when I know others can enjoy them more.