It's Been a Long Slow Week

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

It's Been a Long Slow Week

Post by Del Gue »

Fished three times in the last 6 days for Lakers and Salmon and thought I would have some info on where they are biting and on what. Instead I can tell where they are not and what they are not biting on.
03/14-Arnold Bay
Set up a spread of tip-ups with medium shiners and ranged them from 2 feet under the surface to the bottom. I used number 6 hooks with a 4-6 foot, 6lbs monophilament leader. Not a flag, not a fish. Couldn't even jig up a perch!

Spread

03/17-Converse Bay
We drove the wheeler out to near the tip of Thompson Point. Set up a spread with the same medium shiners on the same leaders and hooks. The ice was 15"-24". We wanted to try both shallow and deep water. I paint fish here in the summer and have always wanted to ice fish it. With the lake frozen completely it gave us the chance. Fished 6 hours with no flags and no fish. Not even a perch on a jig stick.

Spread

03/19-Main Lake side of the Colchester Causeway
Allen Point access is not plowed and neither is the road in. It was a 1.5 mile walk from my truck to where I wanted to fish but once again, I have always wanted to ice fish there. Set up the same gear with small and medium shiners from 4 feet under the ice to the bottom. Fished 6 hours, no fish no flags. Not even a perch.

Spread

So I have gotten skunked the last three times but these are all new ice fishing spots to me. I feel like George Costanza on Seinfeld. "If every instinct I have is wrong then the opposite must be right!" So if you see someone fishing in a puddle of water tomorrow, that will be me.
Tight Lines!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Re: It's Been a Long Slow Week

Post by Surprise »

HOLY Crap! You sure gave it a shot!

I cannot imagine that you couldn't jig a perch ..But Wait..Full Moon :shock:

Never has been my best time to catch fish, but never caught any at work either :mrgreen:

Thanks for the report.

P.S. maybe try Elm Point out from TriTown water too sometime
Fish On!
tiny

Post by tiny »

I admire your persistence! I enjoy finding new spots on inland lakes, exploring new areas on Champlain is daunting. Good luck out there, this was a couple weeks ago but we were getting lakers in 25-40' with medium shiners set 8-15' down.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice detailed report... too bad fish did not cooperate.
Maybe next time will be the good one.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

I admire your persistence too!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Great report.I wonder why it is so hard to pull salmon from Lake Champlain.We used to do all right in Maine, fishing a small lake in Aroostook County.Same things you are doing but it seemed just before dark was best.Keep at it we are all rooting for you.
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Post by Themug »

I feel your pain!!!! I've been doing the same thing this winter with the same results. So where are all the thousands of salmon swimming around this lake??? I sure can't find them. Any ideas, suggestions, theories????
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

They are catching salmon between Cedar Island and the Cowbanks. The guys are jigging for perch with a hook and a fat head on it, that's it! I'm out there with a lot of $$ on the ice in gear and these guys are pulling them up "old school". The salmon are not very big but bigger then the ones I've been pulling up!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

That's an awesome report Dave...sorry about the lack of fish.
NEVER GIVE UP
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Mr.Esox
Species: Salmon

Post by Mr.Esox »

Following alewives !!!