Worth fishing south of Valcour?

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Worth fishing south of Valcour?

Post by Del Gue »

I have an uncle suffering from ALS and this is probably his last active year. He grew up in Plattzburgh and I would love to take him ice fishing for lakers south of Valcour. I tried converse yesterday along the tip of Thompson pt with zero luck. He lives on the shore of NY in front of Valcour so I thought it would be neat if he could land a few lakers out there. I was looking at the 60 FOW range with the flat bottom. Has anyone had any luck using tip-ups for lakers in that area? Any advise is very much welcomed!
Thank you
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Finaddict
Species: Walleye / trout

Re: Worth fishing south of Valcour?

Post by Finaddict »

The last time I tried was about 6 years ago or so due to the lack of ice, but we didn't have any luck. My thinking was along the same line as yours on the depth. However we do see them on the camera when perch fishing in Cumberland bay in anywhere from 10'-30'. Well don't really know if that helps or not but good luck.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

Thanks! Any info helps. I don't really mind if I catch a lot of them but, although fun, I am getting tired of fishing for perch this winter and want to try something new.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
seanympho
Species: all fish

Post by seanympho »

I've never fished there but I would look for a drop off. 20' down to the 60'. Fish the edge. Put your tipups along the 30' depth. 6'-10' of line out with just a tiny split shot if any to get the minnow under the ice. When they grab it they normally will strip the reel. Fun getting em back to the hole! Good luck!