Converse Bay ice fishing tomorrow

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Converse Bay ice fishing tomorrow

Post by Themug »

Temps are supposed to be around 40 with fairly calm winds and I'm heading out to fish Converse Bay tomorrow before the snowpocolypse hits us. This is an open invitation to anyone who has a bit of cabin fever, anyone who has never been ice fishing, or anyone who has never been out on the ice and would like to get out and enjoy the solitude and beauty of a frozen Lake Champlain. I will be setting up for salmon and lakers and maybe even jigging a few perch too. I've got 15 tip ups and plenty of bait. Sorry for the short notice but I fish the days when the weather allows me. I can't guarantee any fish but its a great opportunity to get out see what ice fishing is really about. Let me know if anyone is interested.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Re: Converse Bay ice fishing tomorrow

Post by Del Gue »

It's amazing that we are able to ice fish converse this year. I've always wanted to go out there and fish for salmon through the ice. I have plans tomorrow but thanks for the offer! A quick question, how deep are you fishing for them? Over the past few years I have fished in less then 30' of water but now that Alewives are such a food source and they seek out warmer water, are you fishing deep water for them. The old rule of thumb was to fish the top 10' below the ice. Are you suspending bait deeper? If the ice holds I may try and get out Friday (provided I can find my snowshoes). Can you also give an ice report? March ice always makes me nervous :?
Thanks!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Themug
Species: All Champlain fishes!!

Re: Converse Bay ice fishing tomorrow

Post by Themug »

Earlier in the year when the lake started locking up there were a few people on here who had expressed an interest in the possibility of fishing Converse Bay for salmon and lakers through the ice. I wanted provide that opportunity to those who might not have tip ups, an auger or any ice fishing gear at all for that matter. Kind of like "share a ride" only on ice. Being out on the ice is a wonderful experience and can be just as much fun as a float in open water, and sometimes warmer!!! Unfortunately it was short notice and on a Tuesday so I didn't have any takers. It was also unfortunate that I didn't catch a darn thing!! Salmon through the ice is a tough prospect but I gave it my best shot. I had a line of 5 tip ups with minnows set about 3 feet under the ice in water anywhere from about 25 feet out to over 60 feet. I ran another line of 5 tip ups with baits suspended at various depths, 20 feet, 40 feet, etc, all the way down to just off the bottom. I varied the depths on those five throughout the day but never did find them. As far as the ice goes it was a good solid 10 inches at least and even more in many places. Back in the shallower water its 18+ and close to 2 feet in some spots. Sorry guys, I know many of you probably didn't want to hear that, but it won't last forever. With the warmer weather and extra hours of sunlight shining down on a dark surface even foot thick ice starts to get soft and break up easily. There is an excellent article in today's Free Press about it. Tight lines!!
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps ... 4303110029