Laker trip #2

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
tiny

Laker trip #2

Post by tiny »

Went out for again yesterday in pursuit of lakers, pike, and perch. Not too long after we had all lines in the water a flag popped on one of our deeper tipups. I ran out there with my buddies girlfriend and when we got there the spool was turning slowly and had probably 40 yards of line out. She set the hook and then gave me a confused look, I then found out that she had never been ice fishing before. She did a great job getting the fish to the hole and on the ice. This poor fish had at least 5 lamprey wounds and was missing an eye! Measured 28" and got fish slime all over her clothes. We had a 26" pike, decent action with perch and three more laker flags, two of which cut through 12lb fluoro right after the hookset. I'm hoping to upgrade leaders and try again next weekend.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbartlet/13047555715/]Image
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Laker trip #2

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Keep at them tiny... thanks for posting.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Missing an eye? Sounds like he made the mistake of visiting the hatchery brook, lol.....Nice fish!
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Thanks for the report Tiny! Sure looks like plenty of ice.
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Nice fish again! Hey, I know that spot! :)
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
tiny

Post by tiny »

WildFisherWoman wrote:Nice fish again! Hey, I know that spot! :)
Shhhh don't tell anyone about the lake trout in Monkton Pond!
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Tiny are you sure it was Lake Trout biting you off it would be very unusual 12 lb. should be more than adequate for Lake Trout I would quicker think Northern Pike
tiny

Post by tiny »

Captain Paul wrote:Tiny are you sure it was Lake Trout biting you off it would be very unusual 12 lb. should be more than adequate for Lake Trout I would quicker think Northern Pike
One of them might have been a pike, the other one was way too fast to be a pike. I saw a flag pop as we were unhooking the one in the picture, two guys got there in under a minute and there was only 20' left on a 150 yard spool! They leader popped as soon as they stopped the spool, might have just been the sheer force from the fish swimming so fast.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

tiny wrote:One of them might have been a pike, the other one was way too fast to be a pike. I saw a flag pop as we were unhooking the one in the picture, two guys got there in under a minute and there was only 20' left on a 150 yard spool! They leader popped as soon as they stopped the spool, might have just been the sheer force from the fish swimming so fast.
14 pound Landlocked!!!! :o
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
tiny

Post by tiny »

Raz wrote:
tiny wrote:One of them might have been a pike, the other one was way too fast to be a pike. I saw a flag pop as we were unhooking the one in the picture, two guys got there in under a minute and there was only 20' left on a 150 yard spool! They leader popped as soon as they stopped the spool, might have just been the sheer force from the fish swimming so fast.
14 pound Landlocked!!!! :o
I had that thought... Medium shiner 6' down over 40', certainly could have been a big salmon.