6 species this morning

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
tiny

6 species this morning

Post by tiny »

I've been bad about posting this winter, but had a fun trip to Indian Brook Reservoir this morning. Walking wasn't very pleasant with a few inches of snow on top of a crust that broke every other step to reveal 4" of slush. My buddy and I probably jigged up 150-200 fish with maybe 30-40 worth keeping and 6 different species. I caught a few nice gills and pumpkinseeds and then got a big largemouth that took 5 minutes to land on 2lb line. My buddy thought he had a bass until he pulled up a Redhorse. We caught a bunch of decent perch and a few small crappies. Also got my first fishing sunburn of the year.
Redhorse

Nice pumpkinseed

Largemouth
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: 6 species this morning

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

NIce post and pics Tiny.
6 species, that doesn't happen too often. Some days in summer, I'm happy when I catch only one.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

nice to get variety
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Dang, I missed out..that's awesome! That sucker looks more like a white than a red though. I've never even heard of anyone getting a sucker through the ice, what did it eat, spikes? Let me know when you get back out there I'd like to try to go before the end of the season for sure!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report Tiny, I'll take it... Pics and all... Not quite as good as a trolling thread, but I am getting hard up this late in winter....

Thanks!
Matt B
tiny

Post by tiny »

Matt wrote:Dang, I missed out..that's awesome! That sucker looks more like a white than a red though. I've never even heard of anyone getting a sucker through the ice, what did it eat, spikes? Let me know when you get back out there I'd like to try to go before the end of the season for sure!
It took spikes on a small tungsten jig, it came two feet off the bottom to hit the jig too. Definitely want to hit the ice with you again this winter.