Heads up Georgia Shore!

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Heads up Georgia Shore!

Post by Del Gue »

I spent all day yesterday walking all over St Albans Bay looking for white Perch. I found out last night that they had moved on about two weeks ago (I need more timely intel). Today I fished the Cowbanks in all the usual spots but only managed one small yellow. I packed it in and drove to the Everest access along the Georgia Shore. I walked straight out to the drop off and fished in about 45 feet of water. 10 inches of ice. As soon as my Hali hit the bottom I was catching fish. Decent yellows with some over 11 inches. They were filled with Alewives so I was wondering if the Whites where up higher. I played around at different depths since I don't have a flasher but no luck. I know the Whites are chasing the Alewives so if the yellow perch are full of them the Whites have to be nearby.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Re: Heads up Georgia Shore!

Post by mudchuck »

yep - x2
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Killed the whites and yellows on a bibet that was half silver half white (alewive pattern pretty much). It outfished any other color bibet, spoon, or hali 10:1.
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Thanks Matt. I had read your report on St Albans Bay and was trying those colors (or the best I had that were similar). There were some colors they wouldn't touch, then I would send down another and they would hammer it. I have only caught three whites out in front of Van Everest but the yellows are all over it. I found the same thing as you, the lures that mostly resemble Alewives are your best bet and fish over a drop-off.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Del Gue wrote:Thanks Matt. I had read your report on St Albans Bay and was trying those colors (or the best I had that were similar). There were some colors they wouldn't touch, then I would send down another and they would hammer it. I have only caught three whites out in front of Van Everest but the yellows are all over it. I found the same thing as you, the lures that mostly resemble Alewives are your best bet and fish over a drop-off.

Most of our whites came from out in front of Kilkare near 60 FOW at first, then they began to scatter, but we found them again in 20-40 FOW near the island to the right of it. I'm sure they're still in the area, just have to find them again.
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

yep, filled a pail to the rim in a little over an hour this afternoon. 35FOW middle of the bay entrance between killkare & g.s. ballpark
chrome pimple with reflective blue on one side tipped with spikes, couldn't keep 'em off the lure.
see the pic i posted showing the school on the flasher on iceshanty.com
wicked awesome!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Good stuff, I'm glad you finally got into them!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

mudchuck wrote:yep, filled a pail to the rim in a little over an hour this afternoon. 35FOW middle of the bay entrance between killkare & g.s. ballpark
chrome pimple with reflective blue on one side tipped with spikes, couldn't keep 'em off the lure.
wicked awesome!
Those were whites Mudchuck?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Raz wrote:
mudchuck wrote:yep, filled a pail to the rim in a little over an hour this afternoon. 35FOW middle of the bay entrance between killkare & g.s. ballpark
wicked awesome!
Those were whites Mudchuck?
On Ice Shanty he said they were all Whites. I was out there a week ago and there was 10 inches of ice. I'm sure there is more then that now. The area he is talking about is a little bit of a hike but plenty of ice for a wheeler. Someone was driving around in a four door Buick with no problem. I have been waiting for two years to get into them like that! I hope to get out this weekend!
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

I've driven my Subaru out twice now, ice is 18"+
You can drive from KillKare all the way over to Georgia Shore ball park launch.

I haven't gotten into any whites at the Van Everest access in Milton, just yellows and the last couple times I went there you had to walk on or try to get an ATV on, as there's a large pressure crack with heaved ice right in the launch.
Yellows were good at V.E. and last year I did manage a salmon thru the ice 200yds from shore in Feb. with a few nice slab yellows.

By now, I'm assuming there will be a shanty town at St. Albans bay, but this is good for 2 reasons: it will help remove some of the white perch population and as long as the whites stay schooled up in there, they're taking their toll on those alewives.

Rumor has it that Bayside had 4 tons of whites cashed in in 2 days. Steve is having a fish fry this Saturday to celebrate their 10th anniv., he's asking everyone to bring a covered dish. Starts at noon.

TIGHT LINES! :D

Interesting how the deep water areas I've fished so far this season have shown: A) the yellows are barfing up smelt & B) the whites are barfing up alewives.
FATHEAD
Species: salmon

Post by FATHEAD »

Yellows one right after another yesterday cold but managed 27 slabbers all on glow bibbit with spikes threw about 75 back down hole and a few to the seagulls that were sitting around me. Would of stayed longer but wind was cold tried setting up my 2 man portable and wind blew me 75 feet down lake trying to set it up I laughed so hard but was really pissed. Need to get a clam type shanty the 2 man just too much for one guy to set up in wind. The perch were yummy fillet them and ate them last night.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Just a heads up to those driving out in this area - the ice got the best of someones car today. A friend sent me a picture of someones front end dug in, and stuck. Not sure if from broken ice or just opened holes.
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

Eh, that would be me...I was driving 30 feet away from a pressure crack between the park & burton when I saw a puddle, I turned and the car slid to a stop right on top of the crack and went to back away when front tires busted thru over top some rocks in 3FOW...ruined my day and my week now.
I sent out a call for help on iceshanty.com and no one on the bay would lift a finger to help...cost me some dough to get SATFD to come out & pull it back up onto the ice with a come-along.
Was a dozen trucks out there at 7AM, hard to believe not one of them had a tow rope. Took a couple of hours to get things going from shore with the come-along crew.
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

mudchuck wrote:Eh, that would be me...I was driving 30 feet away from a pressure crack between the park & burton when I saw a puddle, I turned and the car slid to a stop right on top of the crack and went to back away when front tires busted thru over top some rocks in 3FOW...ruined my day and my week now.
I sent out a call for help on iceshanty.com and no one on the bay would lift a finger to help...cost me some dough to get SATFD to come out & pull it back up onto the ice with a come-along.
Was a dozen trucks out there at 7AM, hard to believe not one of them had a tow rope. Took a couple of hours to get things going from shore with the come-along crew.
they probly were worried about breakin through aswell!
Matt

Post by Matt »

mudchuck wrote:Eh, that would be me...I was driving 30 feet away from a pressure crack between the park & burton when I saw a puddle, I turned and the car slid to a stop right on top of the crack and went to back away when front tires busted thru over top some rocks in 3FOW...ruined my day and my week now.
Bummer man. That ice in that spot is tricky because of the current. Hope things are all set so you can get back out there