Island info needed

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Island info needed

Post by Tire Jockey »

Was wondering if anyone has been fishing the gut or been by there?
Was going to give it a try on Thursday.

Thanks! Fish on!! :)
Salmonseeker
Species: Salmon

Re: Island info needed

Post by Salmonseeker »

was there Saturday several people out there fishing, I went to keelers until noon until it started to rain went to the gut just to check it out no one to talk to see how they where doing. There was Lots about 10" of ice can't say now with all the rain, the ramp looked pretty blue then. I will be going there is week end PM me and let me know how you do.
swallowmypride
Species: walleye

Post by swallowmypride »

How about now? How is the ice at Keelers? The gut? :?:
Anyone been to the sandbar?
I am having dreams of ice fishing I think it time to go get my fix :shock:
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Salmonseeker
Species: Salmon

Post by Salmonseeker »

I'm going to the gut tomorrow will post what I find, went to kellers last weekend lots of ice but no fish.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

I've fished every day this week after work and had today off and fished from 7:30 to 5 at the cowbanks and there's about a 10' wide by 2' deep area of open water to traverse at the apple island launch in order to get on/off the ice.
No white perch at all, the report is a rumor.
Caught small to medium yellows and a few large and two jumbos all week.
Bite is best between 2-4 in the afternoon.
WINDY!
Ice is 6-8" thick and not spongy.
Fished 2- thru 50FOW with minnows, spikes & spoons.
No white perch, bass, salmon or lakers anywhere in the water column, just small yellows off the bottom.
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

So we never made it up north ended up down by the bridge at the slang.
Lots of water on the shore line so we headed over to bulwagga bay.
managed a few nice fat perch that was about it.

This video is today in ferrisburgh, i was fishing a set back off from the big otter. No takers today a few small hits from some tiny bluegills that's it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3FO6usPRE
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

I fished the Gut on Thursday on my day off. Found no fish, and only wet legs after leaving the ice(broke near shore, fell to my waist in water). I have however, filled 5 buckets of big white and yellows in the St Albans area. Whites last weekend were packed in hard, but this weekend they're more scattered. Alewive die-off happened near St. Albans, which is why they're in there I'm assuming. Got into quite a few whites over 13" and some even over 14".

Lots of people fishing, but not too many getting anything. Probably the wrong presentation/bait/lure. I used an either all-white bibet, or a half white half silver bibet with or without an eyeball and crushed fish every time I went out. Minnows would also work. 90% of the fish were right off bottom, but every once in a while I'd reel up 10-20 ft and get into some whites.

It is tough finding them, but I would start in 20 FOW. A navionics will help determine where the water steadily gets deeper. Last weekend the whites were in 50 FOW, smack dab where it transitioned from a 45 foot deep flat spot to a 50-52 ft flat spot, with 60 FOW just 50 yards away. This weekend they seem to be in 20-35 FOW. I've never really got into fish when fishing on a flat spot on bottom. I always fish on an incline/decline...that's how I always find my fish.

Good luck.
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

Thanks for the report Matt.
That really sucks you got wet. Things will be freezing up very nicely in the next few days!
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

I will be getting out for the first time this weekend, Bomo Saturday and small local puddle Sunday. The cold snap will lock everything up nicely
Waterwolf
Species: Northern

Post by Waterwolf »

I have been fishing weekends the last few weeks trying different locations. The gut produced some decent sized yellows, but only about 20 for a whole days effort. Squires bay was a complete bust all three times I went out. North Hero state park off the big rock point to the west was also a zero. Take note that it was during the monsoon we had. Lastly I have fished the Alburgh passage twice now and both times had immediate success on nice yellows and medium sized pike. Nothing of size yet, just 24"s. Im going to stick to that area as I know there are nice pike throughout there and that's my main target.

Hope this was useful! Tight lines out there.