salmon through the ice

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

salmon through the ice

Post by tuckhunts87 »

so while the launches are locked in my goal is to get a salmon or trout through the ice. i have never really got into ice fishing but have been out a couple times already this year and have had a great time, thanks jesse. we went out to day and got ten or so pike which was a blast.
So if anyone has any tips on what to do or not to do for salmon an trout through the ice i'd love to hear it, places to go would be sweet too..... thanks does anyone know if willsboro freezes?
tiny

Re: salmon through the ice

Post by tiny »

I have fished with two guys that caught salmon, both at cowbanks. The first fish was in 2005 or 2006 during the a huge alewife die-off. We put dead shiners ~2' under the ice and got this guy:

The second fish was in 2012 and has a much better story. We were jigging white perch and in my shanty because it was really windy. We had a huge ball of bait show up on the flasher from 20' down to 40'. The white perch started to come up from 60' to investigate, when suddenly we had a big mark go across through the middle and the bait ball split in half. We all reeled up and started jigging at that depth. Suddenly my buddies drag started screaming... Took about 5 minutes to finally get it through the hole:
In my very limited experience, there are salmon at the cowbanks but I don't think it is easy fishing at all.
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Tuck,
If you're fishing tip ups for salmon run a barrel swivel off your mainline and a 8-10 lb leader of 10 to 15 feet. A size 8 hook and as little to no sinker as you can (sometimes a chartreuse or red bead in front of the hook). I hook the minnow (smelt and emeralds are best) just in front of the dorsal fin lightly. I let out 3 to five feet of line so the minnow is close to the hole and near the surface and place the tip up into the hole. This set up does well on lakers also. most of the lakers swallow the hook after running with it usually a long ways. Salmon and browns tend to stay closer to the hole and will sometimes swim in large circles once they take the bait. The cowbanks used to be pretty good for catching smelt for bait and fishing salmon but has died down the last few years. Keeler's Bay entering off Hill Road also used to be a hot spot but has died down as the inland sea went to the white perch. I've always wondered how Converse might be once it freezes safe enough to get to where it begins to drop deeper. Good luck!
FishTherapy
Species: salmon

Post by FishTherapy »

went and drove around st. albans bay this morning.... the ice is looking bad.. shorelines going fast. No one driving on anymore, just wheelers. Hope the ice season doesnt get cut short.
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

to hell with ice lets get the boat out!!! my goal only stands as long as i cant get my boat in the water