Fishing in a Hole 2021

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Fishing in a Hole 2021

Post by the_doctor »

Been way too long since I checked in on LCU. Been cheating on you all with IceShanty.com.
My best trip was the very first of the season, in early January way up north. I even got the girlfriend out for her first ice fishing ever! Spent the whole morning chasing flags, plenty of pike and some big perch.

Unfortunately, after the strong start, it's been a slow season. "Home base" where I usually fish has been dead for me since it froze over. When it comes to ice fishing, my favorite thing is to jig for perch, but I just haven't had much luck getting into a good perch bite this season. Picked off a few perch here and there but it always seems they disappear after a minute. The perch I have caught are all full of alewives. I wonder if they are roaming around like crazy chasing the bait this year?
The other thing I wonder about is the weeds. This fall we had screaming west winds and pounding waves for many days, and I remember a ton of weeds washing up that must have been dislodged. So, maybe there's just no weed beds left near me?
Just my theories.

I did have one fun surprise one day when I caught a couple large mouth jigging. That was fun on the little noodle rod!

Hoping to head up north again this weekend, still looking for that perch bite. Hope to have one good day jigging before the ice melts...already making open water plans. Tight lines everyone!
3.jpg
3.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
Alewives!
2.jpg
2.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
Largemouth, sorry for the blur
1.jpg
1.jpg (110.89 KiB) Viewed 2662 times
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Fishing in a Hole 2021

Post by fishy1 »

great report keep them coming. you were on to something with the perch yes they are moving and chasing alewives. also the perch need weeds for protection and to spawn and feed. they like the zebra mussels clinging to the weeds. keep chasing dont give up.