Looking for for safe Ice

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
Mike8484
Species: Trout

Looking for for safe Ice

Post by Mike8484 »

Hi all! Curious if anyone is finding some safe ice to go out on yet. Early on I like to do a "gear check" trip with very low expectations on catching fish. Just making sure all of my gear is up to snuff for the upcoming season. Any locations with "safe" ice that fit the bill around? I will have safety gear to include spud bar, picks, rope, float suit, etc. I am in the Essex Junction area. As I am brand new to the area I would love to meet up with some ice fisherman and fish.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Re: Looking for for safe Ice

Post by the_doctor »

Hi Mike,
Champlain won't be frozen until January., most likely. Looks like it will be cold this week though so it may start to ice up in spots.

Usually the first places to freeze are ponds in the northeast part of the state...bit of a drive. Might be some ice already but doubt it's safe if it exists. Smaller ponds will freeze up pretty soon, and we'll start to see some ice on bays up in the islands soon too.

Not a big ice fishing group here on LCU. Check out the Vermont Ice Shanty page:
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/i ... oard=161.0

They are saying South Bay is starting to ice up but I've never been down that way.

And Fishing 802 on Facebook (not my favorite place to be honest... but worth a look)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/770870912932824

Personally, I never count on ice until after New Year's. Last year it was more like January 15th for where I fish. Definitely waiting impatiently since I do not have a boat that is safe for "frostbite fishing" like the other guys here. But it will come eventually. I like to see someone else walk out there first before I go :lol:

Would love to meet up and fish but I have to play it really safe with COVID because I am close to some extra-vulnerable folks. But keep me posted on your efforts. Champlain is awesome for ice fishing.
Most of the chatter on this site is for trolling cold-water species, but you will not find a nicer community of fishermen. And I know I and a few others would love to see you ice fishing reports so please do post your results when you get out there!!! Good luck.
Boatless in BTV
Species: Anything that bites

Re: Looking for for safe Ice

Post by Boatless in BTV »

I drove out to Colchester Pond this afternoon and it's iced over, though it looked like it probably just locked up last night. I certainly wasn't going to venture out to test the thickness.

That said if the forecast holds and most of this snow stays south like it's supposed to, it might be fishable by the weekend.

I assume that's probably also the case for most small ponds in northern areas that don't get buried by the snow storm.