Oh where Oh where have the big perch gone???

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
mudchuck
Species: perch

Oh where Oh where have the big perch gone???

Post by mudchuck »

I've walked miles and miles at Van Everest, (yes & drove it too), Cowbanks & Keelers and have caught nothing but dink yellows the last 2 weeks. Anyone else finding the perch hard to locate now?
Whites too, almost totally missing in action. Last year this time was good for jumbo whites, now only 3 keepers.
15FOW thru 50FOW most places. Even walked from Van Everest over to Savage and fished the reef with no luck.
Minnows, spikes, plastics, jig bibbets, spoons...nothing but dinks...
Matt
Species: Any

Re: Oh where Oh where have the big perch gone???

Post by Matt »

It's been a tough year from what I hear. I haven't been out much but haven't gotten more than 1/2 a bucket on most days. 2 26" lakers and a 5 lb pike in 50 FOW last weekend though, what a blast. I think they'll be moving into the shallower water soon to spawn... What are you running for bait? Minnows, jigs, spoons, minnows? I've had good luck with rubber Realistix in Smelt colors and bibets with blood lines and chartreuse/orange....

One things for sure is that they're not bunched like they normally are. All my fish are scattered...2-3 fish per hole then it's on to the next one! Hope you end up finding them!