brutal wind!

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
mudchuck
Species: perch

brutal wind!

Post by mudchuck »

Friday afternoon 2/8 thru Saturday afternoon 2/9 was intense, as lots of people had a hard time with the fierce wind, lost/broke gear and some injuries, including myself.

Hope everyone that was out on ice fishing during that time was able to get shelter, minimize any losses or damages and injuries.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: brutal wind!

Post by fishy1 »

lots of gear lost as for me i hid behind a ledge and the wind went right over the top of me but when the wind switched i was out there chasing my pail to the car. no fun.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow r u ok mudhchuck? Tell us the story.
Matt B
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

Went night fishing, setup behind a hardside with my flipover, and my friends did the same, unbeknownst to us it wasn't anchored, just semi frozen into the old snow pack. A 50MPH gust of wind broke it loose slammed into me hard, broke some of my gear and sent a lot of it sliding across the ice in the dark. Was able to recover all my gear except a bucket that had some fish in it.
Gear's been repaired, shoulder/thigh/knee are on the mend.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

mudchuck wrote:Went night fishing, setup behind a hardside with my flipover, and my friends did the same, unbeknownst to us it wasn't anchored, just semi frozen into the old snow pack. A 50MPH gust of wind broke it loose slammed into me hard, broke some of my gear and sent a lot of it sliding across the ice in the dark. Was able to recover all my gear except a bucket that had some fish in it.
Gear's been repaired, shoulder/thigh/knee are on the mend.
WoW! Sorry to hear that. Glad your healing...sounds like it could have been worse.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

That sounds like a night mare, especially at night! Hope your feeling better....

Thanks for the story... For some reason I love to hear of adventures like that...
Matt B
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

Thanks guys!
Has a brake seize up on me during the trip back home from that night with that wind, squealed all the way home, had to do an emergency brake repair next morning. Luckily I had known a few weeks ago that a brake job was coming soon and ordered new rotors/pads, which were waiting for me in my garage, but when I got into it all next morning, found a caliper pin was stuck and caused the pad to stick against the rotor, causing the squealing, so a quick trip to the parts store for a pin/boot kit and I was totally back in business with new brakes up front.
Needed to rest the remainder of the day since I was quite sore still from being slammed the night before.
I'm all better now, glad my gear wasn't totally trashed, my losses were minimal and was able to repair things in time to get out after work one afternoon this week to get on a few jumbo whites & some hefty yellows.
Now a head cold I picked up from my kid this week needs to be gone so I can get out on the ice Saturday.
Tight Lines everyone!