white perch

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
dry net
Species: cold water

white perch

Post by dry net »

Hi, have never fished for white perch on Champlain or any other lake for that matter. My question is are people catching them now or is it a later in the year thing? Not asking for specific spots, just want to know if it's worth making the drive. Thank you for your time, Matt
mudchuck
Species: perch

Re: white perch

Post by mudchuck »

dry net wrote:Hi, have never fished for white perch on Champlain or any other lake for that matter. My question is are people catching them now or is it a later in the year thing? Not asking for specific spots, just want to know if it's worth making the drive. Thank you for your time, Matt
Typically start seeing them stack up thick around Valentine's Day in St. Albans bay and south of the CP bridge.
dry net

Post by dry net »

Thanks Mudchuck !
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

they are down below the champlain bridge all year long lots of them mostly in the channel in the winter then shore lines in spring they like muddy water like bullhead to dont be afraid to fish stained water. there a pain to me when im fishing bullhead there like pirahanas cant keep them off your lines. fun to catch on rods but other than that dont like them to eat at all.
dry net

Post by dry net »

Is there enough ice below the bridge to fish?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

dry net wrote:Is there enough ice below the bridge to fish?
yes there is now but tough going with the drifts and water and a full day of rain tommorrow have to be careful there with the currents more so in the channel. i would recommend near the ist red can south of the bridge for white perch and dont be surprised if you hook into some lakers salmon and browns also.
dry net

Post by dry net »

Thank you for the information
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

Wouldn't it be closer to go to Mascoma or Winni even? ;)
dry net

Post by dry net »

What fun would that be? Have to have some sort of adventure in your life !
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

All true!!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

fishy1 wrote:
dry net wrote:Is there enough ice below the bridge to fish?
yes there is now but tough going with the drifts and water and a full day of rain tommorrow have to be careful there with the currents more so in the channel. i would recommend near the ist red can south of the bridge for white perch and dont be surprised if you hook into some lakers salmon and browns also.
Fishy ... they are much better tasting in the winter than they are in the summer. I've stopped keeping them after June or so. They definitely get "fishier" with the warmer water. Plus, they are really fun to catch on a light jig rod!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i agree crayfish they put up a great fight but eating them no way. the only way i would eat them in the winter is cook them the same day cant freeze them i tried. ugh. i have no problem giving them away which im thankfull of but they add al kinds of seasoning to kill the taste. we cook all of our fish just flour coated. i catch plenty of yellows and sunnies so i dont really need to keep them anyhow
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

dry net lots of water on the ice now
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1 wrote:i agree crayfish they put up a great fight but eating them no way. the only way i would eat them in the winter is cook them the same day cant freeze them i tried. ugh. i have no problem giving them away which im thankfull of but they add al kinds of seasoning to kill the taste. we cook all of our fish just flour coated. i catch plenty of yellows and sunnies so i dont really need to keep them anyhow
crayfish how has your fishing been so far?
dry net

Post by dry net »

Thanks Fishy for the heads up. Heading toward the bridge in the morning, gona concentrate on lakers but will have a lite stick in case we run into perch.