white perch

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
dry net
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm
Species: cold water

white perch

Postby dry net » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:47 am

Hi, have never fished for white perch on Champlain or any other lake for that matter. My question is are people catching them now or is it a later in the year thing? Not asking for specific spots, just want to know if it's worth making the drive. Thank you for your time, Matt
mudchuck
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:53 pm
Species: perch

Re: white perch

Postby mudchuck » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 pm

dry net wrote:Hi, have never fished for white perch on Champlain or any other lake for that matter. My question is are people catching them now or is it a later in the year thing? Not asking for specific spots, just want to know if it's worth making the drive. Thank you for your time, Matt


Typically start seeing them stack up thick around Valentine's Day in St. Albans bay and south of the CP bridge.
dry net
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm
Species: cold water

Re: white perch

Postby dry net » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Thanks Mudchuck !
User avatar
fishy1
Posts: 3347
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 pm
Species: many species

Re: white perch

Postby fishy1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:57 pm

they are down below the champlain bridge all year long lots of them mostly in the channel in the winter then shore lines in spring they like muddy water like bullhead to dont be afraid to fish stained water. there a pain to me when im fishing bullhead there like pirahanas cant keep them off your lines. fun to catch on rods but other than that dont like them to eat at all.
dry net
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm
Species: cold water

Re: white perch

Postby dry net » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Is there enough ice below the bridge to fish?
User avatar
fishy1
Posts: 3347
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 pm
Species: many species

Re: white perch

Postby fishy1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 pm

dry net wrote:Is there enough ice below the bridge to fish?

yes there is now but tough going with the drifts and water and a full day of rain tommorrow have to be careful there with the currents more so in the channel. i would recommend near the ist red can south of the bridge for white perch and dont be surprised if you hook into some lakers salmon and browns also.
dry net
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm
Species: cold water

Re: white perch

Postby dry net » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 am

Thank you for the information
User avatar
jusgrinnin
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 pm
Species: warm&cold
Location: canaan nh

Re: white perch

Postby jusgrinnin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 am

Wouldn't it be closer to go to Mascoma or Winni even? ;)
dry net
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm
Species: cold water

Re: white perch

Postby dry net » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:21 pm

What fun would that be? Have to have some sort of adventure in your life !
User avatar
jusgrinnin
Posts: 387
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 pm
Species: warm&cold
Location: canaan nh

Re: white perch

Postby jusgrinnin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:17 am

All true!!
User avatar
Crayfish
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:47 am
Species: All of them
Location: Jericho, Vermont

Re: white perch

Postby Crayfish » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:27 am

fishy1 wrote:
dry net wrote:Is there enough ice below the bridge to fish?

yes there is now but tough going with the drifts and water and a full day of rain tommorrow have to be careful there with the currents more so in the channel. i would recommend near the ist red can south of the bridge for white perch and dont be surprised if you hook into some lakers salmon and browns also.


Fishy ... they are much better tasting in the winter than they are in the summer. I've stopped keeping them after June or so. They definitely get "fishier" with the warmer water. Plus, they are really fun to catch on a light jig rod!
User avatar
fishy1
Posts: 3347
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 pm
Species: many species

Re: white perch

Postby fishy1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:54 pm

i agree crayfish they put up a great fight but eating them no way. the only way i would eat them in the winter is cook them the same day cant freeze them i tried. ugh. i have no problem giving them away which im thankfull of but they add al kinds of seasoning to kill the taste. we cook all of our fish just flour coated. i catch plenty of yellows and sunnies so i dont really need to keep them anyhow
User avatar
fishy1
Posts: 3347
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 pm
Species: many species

Re: white perch

Postby fishy1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:56 pm

dry net lots of water on the ice now
User avatar
fishy1
Posts: 3347
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 pm
Species: many species

Re: white perch

Postby fishy1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:00 pm

fishy1 wrote:i agree crayfish they put up a great fight but eating them no way. the only way i would eat them in the winter is cook them the same day cant freeze them i tried. ugh. i have no problem giving them away which im thankfull of but they add al kinds of seasoning to kill the taste. we cook all of our fish just flour coated. i catch plenty of yellows and sunnies so i dont really need to keep them anyhow

crayfish how has your fishing been so far?
dry net
Posts: 125
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:34 pm
Species: cold water

Re: white perch

Postby dry net » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks Fishy for the heads up. Heading toward the bridge in the morning, gona concentrate on lakers but will have a lite stick in case we run into perch.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest