my ist day on the ice in 2 years and targav18 in many years

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
fishy1
Species: many species

my ist day on the ice in 2 years and targav18 in many years

Post by fishy1 »

jimmer his wife brenda an i headed to a small lake today for some pike fishing. we only had 3 flags caught a perch and brenda a pickeral had another run off 50 feet of line in a hurry and a drop. but we had a blast in jimmers new 4 man eskimo that sets up in less than 2 minutes and take down and folded in less than a minute. i got to bring my new jiffy lite propane auger and couldnt get it away from jimmer , looks like he will be buying one. he called d,attilios right away and they didnt have any. for lunch jimmer cooked up venison back straps and peppers and onions on we had backstrap sandwiches yum the best and ist i ever had. a beautiful day on the ice in good company.Image
jimmer with my jiffy lite propane
jimmer cooking
ImageImage
venison back strap sandwich with pepper and onions
brenda with a pickeralImage
jimmer and brenda,s eskimo 4 man shelter ready to be put away in less than one minute

Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: my ist day on the ice in 2 years and targav18 in many years

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Matt.
Funny to see a ice report from you, so used to see you on water.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

1/6/2018 we made the ice 2 days in a row this time with hairbone (harry) and reelfun (ed) jimmer and i . hit a pond close to home for pike. set up 6 tip ups each and we knew it was going to be cut short by 15 to 25 mph winds . ed and harry caught a few perch and we were all snacking on some venison summer sausage i brought when i had a flag went over to it and the polar tip up was not spinning but the line was tight under the ice so i knew the fish was still there grabbed line and fish on i land a 22 inch pike. going home for dinner. then jimmer had 2 flags but false alarm then it was getting near 11 am and harry had to leave so jimmer drove him to his pickup on his 4 wheeler a long walk. jimmer came back and started cooking peppers onions and backstraps again what a lunch. then 11:30 am the wind starts we pull everything up and head home.ImageImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

1/13/2019 -2 degrees this morning so jimmer brenda bill an i ditched our plans for tip up fishing and decided to chase smelt with ice rods in jimmers shelter. so we headed to a small lake close by with 10 inches of ice . started fishing at 8;45 am and fished until 1:15 pm and we got skunked. brenda lost 2 and i one. i had plenty of bites but couldnt hook them. a little after 11 am brenda started cooking lunch venison sausage peppers and onions. wow was that tasty out there on the ice. we had a fun day and kept very warm in the shelter.
here is bill fishing
ImageImage
jimmer
brenda cookingImageImagetemp image shareImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

1/16/2019 headed down to bullwagga bay this morning for ice fishing for salmon and browns. i was told there was 5 or 6 inches i guess there measurements are different than i saw. more like 3 or 4 inches so i stayed close to shore about 150 feet out in 8 fow. everyone went out to the channel. set up 4 tips at 8 am only because there was a wind advisory. 2 under the ice with hunts and 2 on bottom with big shiners. 9 am no flags then a flag on my hardwater tip up and it took about 25 foot of line set the hook and fish on a good fish on only to lose it at the hole couldnt tell if it was a brown or a salmon water little murky. then until 10:15 am, when i left 5 more flags missed one and landed 4 perch. the wind was nasty so i went home. not a bad morning for fishing close to shore in 8 fow. there was a nice school of perch coming in but ill go back tommorrow and keep some.Image
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Awesome to see reports for that part of the lake through the ice. I am hoping we get some good ice down there I would love to bring my hardside down and spend a weekend in that area!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

keithm87 wrote:Awesome to see reports for that part of the lake through the ice. I am hoping we get some good ice down there I would love to bring my hardside down and spend a weekend in that area!
hoping we dont get to much snow keith to ruin it. going to be real cold next week but if there is lots of snow on ice wont be good. ill keep you posted.
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Post by FishnChef »

Thanks for the reports fishy. Surprised there was not more ice on bulwagga considering what's on some of the other bays on Champlain. Hopefully the wind that will accompany this dumping of snow will keep build up on the ice to a minimum. Hoping to get out off Willow Point next week
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

1/17/2019 went back ice fishing in port henry today pretty much targeting anything that bites. it was -2 degrees and harry (hairbone) picking me up around 7 am with a 2 man shelter. we headed down a little north of the port henry boat launch. we set up in 19 fow with me one tip up in and one jigging rod. harry det up with one jigging rod and 6 tip ups outside brrr. the bite was real slow although we marked fish. after awhile i had some bites but no takers. then it happened i catch one and its a very small smelt yes a smelt gave it to harry tom put on one of his tip ups. then a kept getting bites but couldnt hook them . caught a small perch after . no flags at all till about 10:45 am and harry gets a flag and lands a pickeral . a big surprise as the minnow was right under the ice. we fished until 1 pm landing 5 perch 1 pickeral and 1 smelt. we had a fun day although the bite was slow. we were fishing close to shore next to a pressure crack a couple of good shakes in our seats from the ice and looked out and heaves were bigger and water runnnig a little north of us to shore. 4 inches of good ice 1 inch of snow ice.
ImageImageImageImage
tree-on
Species: Pike

Post by tree-on »

Could not start a new thread, so I'll try here. Tried the Ti area before the storm on Saturday. Did not get much time in as the snow started early. Stiff north wind and cold. Only went out to 7-8 feet of water as there were a lot more pressure ridges than normal and the ice was booming. Had 5 inches of ice, but it appeared to be 2 layer. Water was cloudy and I fed some perch before hitting the road.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tree on wonder why you couldnt start a post .hmmmm. i dont think that ice is much safer now after even that -17 weather with the snow on it. thanks for the post interesting that you even attempted to get on the ice saturday.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

tree-on wrote:Could not start a new thread, so I'll try here. Tried the Ti area before the storm on Saturday. Did not get much time in as the snow started early. Stiff north wind and cold. Only went out to 7-8 feet of water as there were a lot more pressure ridges than normal and the ice was booming. Had 5 inches of ice, but it appeared to be 2 layer. Water was cloudy and I fed some perch before hitting the road.
tree-on,
If you are on the main screen for the forum you want to start a new thread on, click NEW TOPIC shown circled below....hope this helps.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

16 inches of water on the ice in bullwagga bay please be safe. streams are very fast right now
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

2/2 and /2/3 2019 hit the ice saturday with jimmer and brenda caught some nice yellow perch right here in port henry. missed a salmon underneath the ice on a tip up with minnow. jimmer lost a good size fish with the drag burning. took home 26 nice perch for jimmer and brenda. sunday we decided to chase lakers jigging and tip ups. we didnt do very well but still had fun.saturday brendas lunch special homemade chile today venison sticks and dunkin donuts. ImageImageImageImageImageImage
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

2/8/2019 hit the ice this morning solo as a freind didnt show up went to fishville to get out the wind . setup with 4 tip ups and 1 jigging rod with fatheads and 1 tip up with a 5 inch bait. didn take long for flags as i hit a flurry of nice yellow perch. then 9:30 am had a flag but wasnt running any line so i figures perch boy was i wrong pulling the tip up out of the water i could hardly budge it when it decided to take off and broke me off not the leader but the tip up line. then about 15 minutes later the next one up i have a flag and its screaming for the broad lake picked it up slowly and snap got broke off again this one didnt have a leader just tip up line. had 22 flags in 2 hours till the west wind got bad and i left. iim going back there and try to get that monster. Image