Shelburne Pond Study/ Heads Up!!

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
TUnamas

Shelburne Pond Study/ Heads Up!!

Post by TUnamas »

I have no affiliation, but I saw this on Ice Shanty and thought I'd add it here:

Hi Everyone,

My name is Brad and I work with the UVM Rubenstein Ecosystem Science Lab here in Burlington. I wanted to forward some information along to you all about a project we will be starting on Shelburne Pond tomorrow, and maintaining through February 9th.

Tomorrow we will begin the two-day process of setting up an experiment at the North end of the pond, in the same location we moor our data buoy in the summertime. The experiment will all take place within a 100 ft X 60 ft rectangle, which will be marked off with a high-visibility temporary fence. Within that fence we will have 26 carboy containers submerged under the ice, each containing Shelburne pond water with varying densities of plankton collected on site in them. These bottles will incubate under the ice for 14 days with varying light treatments applied (shade vs full ambient light), then removed from the lake and analyzed. This experiment will be a huge help in furthering our understanding of this pond, as well as the dynamics of systems like it in the wintertime (which are very seldom studied). It will also add significantly to our collection of water samples and data we have been collecting weekly from this pond for the past few years.

We ask that if interested in this project, people reach out to us directly with questions instead of entering the experimental area. These bottles are very sensitive, and any tampering with them could potentially ruin the experiment. Along with that, the holes that these carboys will be lowered down and retrieved through will be approximately 16 inches in diameter, so entering the experimental area without knowing where all the holes are would be very dangerous.

We are hoping that by setting this experiment up at the furthest point from the public access as possible, and clearly defining our experimental area, that we will be creating as small an impact on the recreational community as possible.

Please feel free to reach out via this website or e-mail to myself (bradroyuvm@gmail.com) or the lead scientist on this experiment Allison (ahrycik@gmail.com) with any questions/concerns.

Thanks!
Brad