North panfish ??

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
wesson357
Species: trout

North panfish ??

Post by wesson357 »

Hi,
I Never ice fished Lake Champlain yet. I would try this winter for panfishs with my daughter. Is there a Popular easy place north of Plattsburgh (ideally NY Side) you can suggest please?
Is there White perch on NY Side to or it s better in the sea?
Thanks
Mat
mudchuck
Species: perch

Re: North panfish ??

Post by mudchuck »

Cumberland has what you're looking for, or head a little further north towards the bridge
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by EagleCrag »

A long time ago (decades) they used to drive on the lake at Chazy Landing. Not sure if they still do that or not. They were targeting perch I believe.
wesson357
Species: trout

Post by wesson357 »

Thanks, i ll post when i find Time to go!
EagleCrag
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by EagleCrag »

I had some luck right in Plattsburgh bay/harbor last week if you want to fish there. You can access it right next to the marina. I caught perch in the bay created by the breakwater, but I wouldn't venture past the end of the breakwater. The ice dropped from about 6 to 8 inches down to 3 inches when you tried to go past the end of the breakwater. There's usually a seam that develops north to south off the end of the breakwater and the ice was a lot thinner on the far side of that crack. I know lots of ice fishermen think 3 inches is plenty but I'm not one to take chances--especially on a bit lake like Champlain.