Brian and Jim go to Larabee's 11/2/11

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
Brian
Species: fin fish

Brian and Jim go to Larabee's 11/2/11

Post by Brian »

I finally made it up to Champlain this fall. I needed to use four wheel drive to tow up one, still, snow covered road near my home. Then bumped along for 104 miles over salt covered, and then manure covered :-/ roads. I was happy that my friend and bass fishing wizard Jim was able to wrangle the day off from work to join me.

We put in around 9:30, it was chilly with south wind, light chop, 46 degree stained water. The sun was warm and welcome. Started off pitching jigs and TX rigs in 5' to 7' around grass. Bites were light but Jim got three and I one. A pretty normal ratio when fishing with him :). Then tried some casting with spoon and chatterbait. I rebounded with a bass on each.

Went to some cleaner water where Jim schooled me, once again, with his crankbait, getting five bass to my zero. I was sure I'd get one on a TX rig... :? . At the next stop a real fat smallie hit my Pointer jerkbait. Very reluctantly it came into the boat. Hit two more largemouths on the jerkbait while Jim got one on a spinnerbait. Then we went to try a point with grass, but the grass wasn't there. So, moved around until we found the grass and hit the only real concentration of bass for the day. Of course, Jim whooped up on me with his crankbait. But I'd dropped a buoy (actually two) and once I got my act together we both were whacking them on big crankbaits in 8'. After we wore out the area by getting snagged too many times, we headed back to all of the spots where we'd caught bass earlier in the day. One spot had come alive. We'd each caught a good chunk and decided to turn around a try the water again. Jim says "you know, they catch bass on buzzbaits at Lake of the Ozarks in December during snow storms". I said " :roll: :roll: :roll: ". So he pulls out his, rigged up from summer, buzzbait rod and promptly gets a huge blow up that misses. Of course neither of us were watching the lure, because we were watching VTBass motoring down the lake. Must have been a pike. A few casts later another big hit. This time it's hooked and staying down. "I'll bet you it's a pike" I say. Wrong, a nice largemouth in 3' of 48 degree water. A few casts later one more big miss, but the shallow grass petered out and so did the bite. We moved along to a big dock.

There I said "I never catch 'em at this bulkhead, but I've seen you catch plenty". So I pitched my jig to all three key spots; the ladder, north corner, south corner. Zippo. Jim gets a "tick" on his jig at the center of the crib. Pitches back in and winches out the big bass of the day. "Just luck" he says. Yeah, right. Did I mention this guy is a bass fishing wizard?

Quit at 6:00, loaded up in the dark. No other way to do it this time of year.
;) .

This one hit the chatterbait in the a.m. in 6'.

Lucky Craft Pointer and Big Daddy CB accounted for this pair of chunks. Risky throwning the big $ lures, but the pike weren't around this day. :(
Last edited by Brian on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Got bass thumb?
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Re: Brian and Jim go to Larabee's 11/2/11

Post by Champlainbaits »

Great report...sounds like you guys had a blast. Nice fish!
For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Good stuff Brian...thanks for the look.
You guys did some big fish, a great reward for the long trudge to Champlain!
(I got lost on some of the lingo :oops: )
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
bow65lb
Species: Bass

Post by bow65lb »

Thanks for the great report. Hoping to get out on Sunday (Northern part of lake)... Will let you know how we do.
BasscatTim
Species: Bass

Post by BasscatTim »

Great report and nice pictuers. That Jim maybe a fishin magician but your not to far behind him.
Last edited by BasscatTim on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rvq
Species: bass

Post by rvq »

The usual great report and pics. Will miss all these reports this Winter.

Bob
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

rvq wrote: Will miss all these reports this Winter.

Bob
Yes...they will be missed, but I'm happy to see Bass guys here on LCU!
Thanks to all!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Jim,

That is an all-star cast of bass magicians! Nice to see your reports as I could read them all day as I feel I am fishing right alongside you guys with your narration. Some quality fish!

Sure looks like fun!

Ron