...sorta like Champlain...

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
Brian
Species: fin fish

...sorta like Champlain...

Post by Brian »

I haven't been able to make a trip up to Champlain since April. So, not much to post here. But I did have pretty good day on my home water Oct. 18. The forum looks good here too. Way to go Raz. Anyway, for anyone intersted.....

Not that many years ago I would have taken one look at yesterday's condition of the CT River and done one of two things; gone somewhere else to fish, or motored down river to fish in setbacks off the main channel. But not anymore. I get a kick out of the challenge. It's sorta like Champlain, it's dynamic. It can be dirty or clean, swift or calm, high or low. Yesterday was my best day on the water of the year.

I put in at Norm's at 11:00. The water was spring time high, current absolutely ripping and muddy. Visibility was, hmmm, maybe you can see the top of the lower unit of the trolling motor. Just a huge sediment load in the water. Probably partly due to all of the high wind which really stirs up the Bellows Falls pool, partly Irene residue.

Went up to the confluence of the West River first. Water there was somewhat cleaner, maybe two foot of visibility. But it was 4 degrees colder (51 vs 55 degrees) that the main river. I opted for clean water and caught 6 smallies that were all very tight to current breaks. Crankbaits, spinnerbait and flick shake senko (neither flicked nor shaken, just drifted). Repeated casts to get the right angle was a key. Fish weren't roaming, further up river they seemed to be not there at all. No LM either. I could have stayed there all day but curiosity got me headed up river.

Lost a fish at the first rock point I tried. Gave me some confidence though. Went up stream further and set up in 8 fow behind a large gravel bar that rose up to 4 fow. Had to use the 24 volt at 50% just to maintain position. When in the right spot the smallies came in the boat pretty quickly on a Strike King Sexy Shad mid diver. All of the biggest smallies of the day came on a spinnerbait cast in tight to the bank. They were in tight spots with neutral current adjacent to heavy current. Spots that I wouldn't cast a multi hook lure.

Bonus fish or the day was 33" Northern that ate the spinnerbait in 2 fow at a creek mouth with a monstrous whoosh of water. Best pike I've caught in the Vernon dam pool in years.

Went further up river, hit two more gravel bars. Good results but smaller fish. Tried a seam of clean water with the Mepps just in case a fallfish was around. Then I came to my senses and went with the spinnerbait again, just as likely another big pike was lurking nearby. But I was running out of time. Had to quit at 4:30. Good things happen on the CT when the water is 55 degrees...spring and fall.

I'm trying to figure out this timer photography business. So here are a few of my first tries :P. Enjoy.

West River bass. Cool tiger stripping on the small one. Weird facial expression on me ::).

19" of hungry smallmouth.

19.75" of hungry smallmouth that jumped 5 times.

Crankbait fish. Mid diver worked better that deep models, got fish on both though. Sun and current and timer are giving me fits.

Crappy pic, but I'll take pike anyday!!!

Number 19 & 20. 20 hit a #3 Chartreuse Glo Mepps. One of two fish not caught on a crankbait or spinnerbait. Bottom dragging didn't work at all.
Got bass thumb?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: ...sorta like Champlain...

Post by Reelax »

Nice report Brian and excellent job of timer photo's.. They look great!
Matt B
lungelarry
Species: bass.musky

Post by lungelarry »

Great report,sometimes the harder you have to work,the rewards seem nicer. One thing I do for the pics,is practice at home,then you don,t have to worry about the fish. Also I take one pic,but the fish back in the livewell,check the pic and re-ajust.
" Never Let'em See You Smile"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Brian for the report and the pics.
Your smile gets bigger as the pictures go by :D :D
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Great report and fish Brian.

I've played with my camera while solo, using "time-lapse photography". I set the camera to take a pic every two seconds and end up with a bunch of pics to go thru...and pick out the one(s) I like.
Just a thought.

Brian...thanks for the kind words about the site. Most the credit goes to Ludo...he's a computer/software wizard and really knows his stuff. A team effort including Andre...and of course all the members!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
BasscatTim
Species: Bass

Post by BasscatTim »

Hey I know some of those spots! Nice job as always Brian and great pictures and nice detailed report.
I'm headed to the Bellows Falls section myself Friday....not feeling good enough to go to work! cough cough!
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Post by Champlainbaits »

Great report and nice pics. I used to fish the bartons cove area of the CT when I lived in MA. Nice smallmouth fishing for sure.

Thanks for all the detail!
For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)