Great Tip on Unhooking Gut-Hooked Bass

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Great Tip on Unhooking Gut-Hooked Bass

Post by the_doctor »

Well, it is that time of year again: SENKO TIME. Unfortunately this usually means a few gut hooked bass, even from the most careful anglers who watch their lines closely.
After gut-hooking one yesterday I decided there must be a better way than just cutting the line or ripping it out. I found this great tip and I just had to share it because I think it will save many bass' lives this year if word gets around! Really wish I knew this before. Try it out!!! I am starting to crush the barb when fishing CPR for bass, too.

Video demo: https://youtu.be/9FIJ74-79pk
easy-hook-removal-for-gullet-and-gut-hooked-fish.jpg
easy-hook-removal-for-gullet-and-gut-hooked-fish.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Great Tip on Unhooking Gut-Hooked Bass

Post by Reelax »

Good stuff Doc... Thanks for the post!
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Great Tip on Unhooking Gut-Hooked Bass

Post by Detritus »

I've been using this method when the need arises after discovering it online myself a while back. Might even be the same picture I saw.

Part of my job is taking care of a camp on Providence Island, and last summer the 21 year old summer help kid brought a fishing pole when we went out there to work on something. I was up on shore doing something, and he yelled up asking if I had a knife to cut his line, since he gut hooked a smallmouth.

I said "Gimmie that thing." Lipped it, stuck my finger through the gill side like this shows, and just pushed up on the tip of the shank where the knot was tied, hook popped out, put the fish in the water, and said "Now lets go get something done."

He looked at me like I was David Blaine. It definately works.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack