Slow Start Bassin'

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Re: Slow Start Bassin'

Post by the_doctor »

Updated Bass Reports Up North:

Friday 5/17:
Choppy on the lake. Launched out of Winooski River near the mouth hoping for a walleye where a friend reported catching a big one. No luck and rising waves on the main lake but caught two "fighter" smallmouth right in the river. These little 1-2 pounders are really frisky this time of year and fun to catch.
Saw a black snake floating down the river and swimming for dear life!

Saturday 5/18:
Short on time, stayed close to home. Friend got one nice smallmouth about 3lbs and also a big sheepshead (drum)! No bass for me, just a big brave perch on the shad rap. Sadly no time for a perch dinner that day so threw him back.

Sunday 5/19:
Frustrating day! Still looking for another walleye but instead saw huge smallmouth jumping near the mouth of the Winooski! Painful stuff as we fished for an hour with smallies jumping and threw everything in the box at them but just couldn't get bit. When I get back out there on a nicer day I will have my sunglasses on to look for baitfish and maybe turn over a few rocks in the water to see what the heck is on the menu there.
Took a break for a quick thunderstorm to roll through and headed back out in the evening into the Outer Bay. Finally one smallmouth and a decent one at that. Rain rolled in again so just one fish for Sunday.

Monday 5/20:
Nowhere to hide from strong winds on the lake today. Thought about the Inner Bay but was glad I didn't when I drove by a few hours later to see breakers out there too! Decided to take a stroll around Colchester Pond and cast a bit from shore. Nice to see some signs of spring at last as there were plenty of panfish bedding up at the pond and the water temp close to 60 degrees! Caught one nice pike but no bass.
~~~~~~~~~~

Slow bite this past week compared to early in the season. Spring is still coming very slowly but finally starting to see some vegetation, bait, and insects in the water and the water is getting a little clearer on some days. Temps are still really cold with high 40s still typical and the warmest spots at 55 or so. Hoping to head out today but will try some new spots besides the old reliable honey holes of early spring. Tight lines!!
neskier1313
Species: bass, trout, salmon

Post by neskier1313 »

Great report! Thanks for posting. Hit Ti on Saturday, 5/18. Launched from Larrabees. Water still a bit high, dock half under water, but safe to launch. Water still murky/muddy but slightly starting to improve. Worked the NY side below the fort. Then, Larrabees north for about a mile. Caught 4 LM bass (largest pictured, on a chartreuse spinnerbait) and 3 small and medium sized pickerel. Saw tons of gar (I think that’s what they were) spawning just south of the ferry, NY side.
Attachments
9219A228-D0D9-4841-8149-3317650552FB.jpeg
9219A228-D0D9-4841-8149-3317650552FB.jpeg (290.56 KiB) Viewed 10167 times
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Damn that largemouth has...well, a large mouth!
Haven't caught a single LM this year. May go looking for a nice one later this week.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

North Hero Park road closed and under water. Stony Point, nearby useable but flooded, as well. Guys getting a few bass on east side of N.H. along rocky shorelines on cranks fishes SLOW and some on Senkos. Slow still.
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

It's been a little while since I posted. Also as a new member to LCU I thought I would write a little about myself. If you aren't interested don't read!
I have been fishing Lake Champlain for 5 years. This past winter I was lucky enough to move lakeside in Colchester, so I was able to step up my fishing! Right now I only have a canoe but I go out on my friend's boat a lot. I have a 14" open aluminum boat with a small old Evinrude outboard waiting for me for free in Massachusetts, but I need to rent/borrow a truck and trailer to get it up here. Probably will do so later this month. It won't be much compared to the setups you see on this site, but it will be very exciting for me to get my first powered boat. So, for now, if you see the little green canoe out there, stop and say hi.

I also work for myself so I can get out there on some weekdays, which is nice. However, it goes both ways because sometimes I have to work the weekend. I provide computer and network support to small businesses around Vermont. If there are any business owners on here looking for IT support, feel free to contact me.

ANYWAY, on to the fish!!

I have not had much success over the past week or so. The nice smallmouth I was catching to start the season have turned into little dinks, and the fishing has been very slowwwww still. Three bass is a really good day at this point. I also try to target lakers, salmon, and walleyes but without the power boat yet this is tough. I did catch my first salmon this year pulling a Sausage Gravy Milkshake behind the canoe at the mouth of the Winooski. He was just a little guy but I was proud! My very lucky friend caught a huge walleye this year while casting for bass. And just the other day he caught a nice laker right off the dock while loading up the boat.

Surface temps have been around 50-55 for a long time. Some days I will see 60 on the surface but a cold rain always hits right after. Yesterday I saw a bunch of baitfish in the water in front of my house for the first time this year--a welcome sign.

On a sunny day, bass have been holding in 8-15 FOW off of sunny rock walls and cliffs. I stay close to Mallet's Bay area so you should be able to find these spots no problem knowing that! The mouth of the Winooski has also been good for many different species. After or during the rain, I've found them shallower over submerged rockpiles and rocky points. Best lures have been the #7 Shad Rap in natural colors, and Challenger/ Smithwhick minnows in any color, especially green shiner pattern.

Wish I had more success or tips to share but that is all for now. Thanks for reading!
dink.jpg
dink.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 9921 times
The Doc and his latest and smallest dink this year.
GSP
Species: Bass, trout

Post by GSP »

I fished Thursday and it was a grind. Jerkbait got most of the fish. Water is still dirty af.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for sharing... I think the fish are in trouble when you get your boat up here!
Matt B
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Saturday 06/08/2019:
Water: generally 59° surface in the Inland Sea. 63° deep inside Keeler's Bay.
Clarity: decently clear, a little muddy in spots.
Conditions: Clear sky, bright sun, temps high 60s- low 70s.

Launched 7AM from Keeler's Bay in the big boat with a couple friends. Went looking for smallmouth all around Savage Island which was a great spot in past years. This time didn't even see a fish! Moved on to Pearl Bay near Robinson's Point where friend says there is a sunken dock/crib. A few followers but no bites still.

At this point we decided the smallmouth were hopeless and so we went over to the weedy spot in Keeler's where people pull off on the side of the highway. Saw 6 other boats fishing, many clearly scouting for the LCI. A few minutes later my buddy pulls in a very pregnant 4lb largemouth!! First LM I have set my eyes on this year. He took it on a weightless Senko right in the thick of the weeds.

I have been using my Vexilar Sonar Phone bobber which allows you to use an app on your phone for sonar. The transducer works better than many high-end units and I highly recommend the gadget. (http://www.sonarphone.mobi) But using this ties up my phone so I'm forgetting to take pictures! Will try to get photos from my friend to post.

There is an incredible show going on in the weeds on the north shore of this weedy cove in Keeler's. There are tons of carp (maybe bowfin too?) breeding/mating/hunting in the shallows, creating huge boils on the water and often the carp come almost all the way out of the water, scooting themselves on their bellies in the shallows. Wish I took a video. I counted over 20 carp making a ruckus over here.

Also caught one dink LM in the cove and many sunfish on spinners/grabbers. Hoping to fish again today and tomorrow. Might try for a perch dinner because bass fishing has been pretty poor. Oh well, still fun and at least it is nice out!
VTrookie
Species: all

Post by VTrookie »

Im having a reel tough time in Mallets Bay with the bass in the last 10 days or so. Jerkbait was great for 4 weeks and now almost nothing. I tried dropshot, ned rig, crankbait, spinner, topwater, chatterbait, and live bait. There seems to be no bedding in the sandy areas. Even the cut in the causeway has dried up. Im in my 4th summer 0f fishing and cant seem to find them now? Watcha think is the missing link?
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

I am in the same boat. Bass fishing has dried up lately near me (Mallet's). I won''t even bother near the bike causeway for bass until much later. It is really cold over there, 55 today surface temp compared to 63 on the other side of the Outer Bay around Porter's Point.

Yesterday 06/10/2019: second day of warm air, clear skies and a hot sun. Air temp near 85. Water clear. Early morning noticed baitfish in the shallows at home, and for this reason combined with the sunshine it was a good day to cast right off the dock at home. Fished from shore with a friend and caught a bunch of nice fat perch, all about 10" or more, plus a couple little smallmouth about 1lb each, all on jerkbaits. At dusk continued to see minnows jumping around the surface not too far from shore-- being chased by bass, I hope!

Today 06/11/2019: A little windier, cloudier, and cooler than the summer-y weekend weather. No minnows hanging around today. No bass, either, or perch close to shore. Caught a few perch a little deeper in about 20" of water.

Maybe it's an excuse but I don't think these fish know what to do with all the rain and cold start to spring. More rain on the way, too. I will be taking my bass fishing' elsewhere until I see more sunny days and baitfish. Might try the river or way down south when I can make a trip.
VTrookie

Post by VTrookie »

thanks for the input
neskier1313
Species: bass, trout, salmon

Post by neskier1313 »

Really appreciate the detailed posts!
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Haven't been able to get in much serious fishing lately. Had another relaxing night fishing right off the dock. A few bass coming through, and my friend caught a nice pike also on a jerkbait. The fishing was not quite as good as last time from the shore, so we decided to throw some crawlers on. Of course we got plenty of perch and also a bass to take crawlers dragged across the bottom. I kept a couple nice perch to fry up. I like to leave the skin and fins and tail on-- they get nice and crispy. I had bacon grease in the fridge to cook them in. Yum!

I also do a homemade tartar sauce. 1 cup Hellman's mayo, 1/4 cup dill relish or chopped pickle, 1 tbsp dijon or brown mustard, one good glug of Worcestershire sauce, a dash of salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Optionally, add fresh minced dill and/or finely diced onion. This stuff is great on any fried fish and tastes even better if you make it ahead to let the flavors blend.

This weekend I will be headed out with my sister and her two kids, age 10 and 11, so probably more shore-fishing with crawlers coming. A friend says he knows a spot where the LMs are spawning and he caught 8 or so in an outing, so they are out there. I just need more time to get after them!
alex-bass.jpg
alex-bass.jpg (307.96 KiB) Viewed 9638 times
fried-perch.jpg
fried-perch.jpg (117.55 KiB) Viewed 9638 times
VTrookie

Post by VTrookie »

We finally got some fish. We got a 3.25 pound and a 3.45 pound large mouth on some dobsons back in Mallets Creek yesterday. We had a few other small bass but not anything consistent.
VTrookie

Post by VTrookie »

Top water bite is on today!!! I got 6 smallies in mallets bay