Bass Pike and....A Huge Sunfish

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Bass Pike and....A Huge Sunfish

Post by Champlainbaits »

Fished monday night in an area where I've been getting 30+ inch pike and was hoping for a master angler fish...well I got one...not a pike but a 9.5 inch Sunfish on one of my sunfish crankbaits :)

Tuesday's trips were ok...nothing notable other than I think I may be on to a new pike lure...after everything else failed I gave this new lure a try and got 3 pike in about 15 mins...nothing big but exciting to see it working. I'll post pics of the lure once I get the design nailed down.

Started Weds off fishing with a friend. Took him to my pike spot and he did manage to get a pike but it was small. We also had a bass boat (fishing a tourney I guess) zoom up right in front of us...drop the trolling motor and proceed to cast their line right over mine. I mentioned as nicely as I could that I understand they are in a tourney...I've been there many times...but that there are 110 miles of lake here and he has 150 HP so I didn't really think "fronting out" two guys in a kayak was necessary.

I guess that spot was really important because they continued fishing right on top of us. Ah well. We paddled on to happier waters.

My friend ended up getting a small bass and it was looking like I was going to get skunked for the first time in as long as I could remember when a nice fat smallie helped me out of that situation...

Then tonight I went out after work looking for that MA pike again and tried some new water I've never fished before. Came up to this spot that looked really nice and ended up getting a nice fat 30 incher. The way it hit I thought for sure I had "the one" but I guess I'll have to keep trying.

For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Bass Pike and....A Huge Sunfish

Post by raz »

Nice fish baits...
Sorry to read about the guys casting over you. I understand there is a 6 day tourney going on out of Mallets Bay. The first 3 days are practice with the last 3 days being competitive. I was going to launch out of there today but changed my mind after hearing about the tourney yesterday afternoon.
Congrats on that big sunny!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Your pics are nice.
Continue having fun on your kayak and just ignore those tourney fishermen.
Good luck catching your MA pike.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Nicely done, that's some great warm-water action. Fishing from a kayak is a blast! Looking forward to the new pike pattern spinner bait.