Road trip & kayak fishing

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Road trip & kayak fishing

Post by voyager »

Just returned from a road trip to mid-coast Maine. I purchased a kayak rigged for fishing this spring so I brought it along. First time I've tried kayak fishing and the stealthy approach seemed to work pretty well. I hit Nequasset Pond in Woolwich, Knickerbocker Pond in Boothbay, and Pemaquid Lake in Damariscotta. Both large & smallmouth bass were ready to bite. All fish were shallow (3-5 ft) and mostly tight to the bank. 32 largemouth & 8 smallies in 10 hours of total fishing, missed 4 or 5 more. Biggest largemouth was about 4lbs with most 2-2.5lbs. Biggest smallie was about 3lbs with most 1.5-2lbs. Most fish came on 4" black Senko's, second was a small (3") floating Rapala, a couple on a gold/silver in-line Thomas spinner. Fish were either on the shady banks with some sort of transition (sand to rock, rock to weeds, different kinds of weeds, etc.) or around emergent weeds in open water. The kayak has two rodholders behind the cockpit. I tossed out the little Rapala behind me and "trolled' as I paddled or drifted. The yellow perch seemed to like this as they kept pecking away at it. I'm liking this kayak fishing alot! Sorry no pic's as I left the camera at home...duh...
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Road trip & kayak fishing

Post by Reelax »

Glad to hear your getting out Paul... Nice report.. Sounds like a very active trip.
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report Voyager.
That's an inexpensive, quiet, and stealth approach to Bass fishing.
We want pics 8-)
Last edited by Gecha (Gerry) on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Champlainbaits
Species: Bass - Pike - Bowfin

Post by Champlainbaits »

Welcome to the kayak club. Even though I owned a bass boat that did 50+ mph for 10 plus years my two biggest bass (an 8lbr and a 7.5) both were caught from my kayak.

If you don't already have one a small anchor is awesome to have when yack fishing.

Best of luck!
For some people it's "one more drink" or "one more bet" for me the lie is "just one more cast" :)
schodackbassman
Species: Bass

Post by schodackbassman »

Great report and fun read. Look forward to more.
voyager
Species: whatever's biting

Post by voyager »

Hey Matt - oh yeah, great trip. Squeezed some fishing in between Maine lobster dinners. Now that's livin'!

Champlainbaits - seems like the kayak fishing could become addictive. There are several small rivers near my house that I'm eager to check out. During my shake-down paddle a few weeks ago I trolled a 4" Rapala as I paddled around. Landed a monster smallie that was pushing 5lbs. I thought I had hooked a log until it started moving away! Knew right then that this was going to be great way to go...

Schoodack - not in the kayak, but did get out again this weekend. Oh, and Gerry from the North, I remembered the camera!
shirefisher
Species: all

Post by shirefisher »

I have done so much better luck in my kayak this year that I'm now selling my power boat and buying a kayak for my DAD! It is so much more fun and the price of gas is too high. I caught a nice rainbow on Lake Eden yesterday and enjoyed fishing within feet of the loons. The loons are not as afraid of the yak as the power boat. There are so many more lakes within reach. And with the wet suit I bought no worries about dumping it in the early season!!! I can ever troll with my boat it has pedal powered prop and with some dipsy divers and lite bits your good to go!