Ticonderoga May 6th, 2012

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
NY Ranger
Species: Bass

Ticonderoga May 6th, 2012

Post by NY Ranger »

My bass club held its annual pike tournament on Champlain today. I decided to pass on the pike and instead take my son bass fishing. This was his first trip to the big pond. Little guy did alright. Managed about 5 bass on his own. I connected for about 15 with the biggest being a pre spawn female that came in just under 5 pounds. Day started pretty cool with morning temperatures in the low 30's. Water temps started out at 52 and managed to climb up to 56 by the time we came off the water. Stiff north wind kept the air temps down most of the day. Water stained up pretty bad near mid afternoon with that north wind blowing.

Most of the damage came on the lipless cranks in 4-6 feet of water. Didn't see any bass up close to shore but definely staged to make a run when the time comes. Was also getting good strikes on a half ounce jig in black and chartreuse tipped with a speed craw. Lost two jigs to the toothy creatures that lurk beneath.

Here is the funniest thing from the day though. Yesterday Zack and I watched Zona's Awesome Fishing Show. Zack was laughing at Z when he connected and went "Kong!". As we were getting into them this afternoon, Zack all of the sudden from the back of the boat yells out "Kong!" I was like what? Turn around and watch him peel in a nice 2 pounder. At the same time I connected and we had a double going. You would have thought that we were doing Zona's show by the way we were cutting it up together in the boat and laughing our tails off!

Here is Zack's very first Champlain largemouth! :D

The day's biggest bass
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Re: Ticonderoga May 6th, 2012

Post by Ludo »

Cool, nice first for the little boys :-)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Very nice report.
Way to go Zack...nice Champlain bass!
Oh Zack, you can expect to see your picture at the end of the year when we will have a year in review slide-show here on this site!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Lavman
Species: Equal opportunity catcher :D

Post by Lavman »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing! Missed you by a day, I was out Saturday with my boy for HIS first Champlain bass fishing adventure, it was a weekend of firsts! Can't wait to get back out there :mrgreen:
Brian
Species: fin fish

Post by Brian »

That was a nice day and a good fishing trip! Way to go. "Kong" on!

Nice photos too.
Got bass thumb?