Inland Sea Salmon Size

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Inland Sea Salmon Size

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Wasn't it Jimmy Dattilio that coined the phrase "The Dead Sea" back in the day? At least that is where I heard it first back in the mid-eighties.

It was a good place to get out of the wind in the early 80's with our small boats to fish before the Digitroll was purchased new, which allowed us to fish the broad lake beginning in the 1985 season.

I have to say the Sea for the most part had been a challenge even in the early years for salmon. The walleye fishery was outstanding with size fishing at night I can say that before the population crash in 1987.

It has given up some lunkers and that is the allure. And fishermen like a challenge.
jusfishin
Species: Salmon

Post by jusfishin »

My vote is neither place.......!!!! I think from the Winooski to the GI Fairy on both sides of the pond is producing some fish I'd weigh per avg against either spot...........and the chromer fishing outside has been outstanding........just my 1.5 cents.....
Heijac
Species: All

Post by Heijac »

You may be right justfishin, I have'nt spent alot of time in that area. I just know from my own experience, that the normal 18-20" fish we catch alot of in the spring and early summer, the average Converse fish is up to a pound heavier than a fish from the sea. Prior to last year, I spent almost all of my time on the IS. I was'nt as experienced, so maybe part of that was me, but I can count on 1 hand the number of double digit catch days, and I never boated a salmon over 22", or over 4 lbs. This year out of Converse, I have lost track of the number of double digit days. And I know I had a couple trips that the fish averaged over 4 lbs.
But again, I am lucky. I only live 12 miles away from the access, so I would still be fishing there, even if the situation were reversed. Not to mention the knowledge and expertize I have gained fishing with, and alongside such a great crew.............
Fishdawg

Post by Fishdawg »

I think that Converse and the inland sea (Sandbar area) both tend to be fished pretty heavily and a lot of the fish are kept for tablefare, but in any case, the reports of the fish caught in those areas tends to get broadcast more. There have been some good size fish caught around Shelburne Bay, The northern Inland Sea (Ladd's, Knights and Butler) and north of the Plattsburgh Ferry as well as far south of Converse. The one area that seems to be lacking of salmon as of late is the inner and outer Malletts Bay. I would think that the influx of white perch in the sea may have caused the salmon to not have as much forage as before and the numbers of alewives on the broadlake may have added to the fish being bigger there. Just my thoughts and observations. :!: :idea: :?:
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Very good points Steve.
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

It's a fact recorded by fish and wildlife the sea holds bigger fish?

Oh yeah and the "dead" Sea sure has been tossing out some monsters in the past few weeks :) pretty sure one of them made the news all the way over in Montana.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Post by Del Gue »

Ludo wrote:Maybe it produces the biggest salmon just because people are catching them with Dockside baits ! :P
Makes sense. ;)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
jusfishin

Post by jusfishin »

10.34lb 34 inch silver yesterday from the dead sea....the critics of the sea are quieted...me included........surprised the pic hasn't made this forum yet....
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

jusfishin wrote:10.34lb 34 inch silver yesterday from the dead sea....the critics of the sea are quieted...me included........surprised the pic hasn't made this forum yet....
This one ? http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/foru ... ?f=4&t=995
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

The sea is an outstanding fishery. Never under-estimate it...it will haunt you.
I've been broken off there, more than anywhere else, and have had my line zip past my boat while trolling. THAT never happened anywhere else!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

That salmon was 10.11 at the store and was put on a certifide scale later that afternoon after we had a tailgate party around it :)

Dockside bait was what it ate!
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

The Sea is as much famous as it is mysterious..... Get em while they are hot so to speak. I have always said to my Derby crew, "if we want big Salmon we have to fish up north", whether it be the Sea, Plattsburg or Willsboro Bay, Shelburne Bay. The bigger fish just seem to be up north.
In the past few years I don't say that too much anymore.
In My opinion only........Hooking a big fish is LUCK, landing a big fish is skill, there are big salmon everywhere, different times of year and under different conditions they are everywhere, From a 10lber out of the swamps of Bowaggy Bay, an 11lber at Mile point, double 7lbers in Wilsboro, 8+ at shelburne and a monster from the sea! Everywhere... we just have to hook them.
For 15 years i fished for salmon south of the border so to speak on Lake Champlain, never going north of Button Bay until the Ice forced us to fish north. The southern Landlock fisherman is a strange and very quiet close knit group, if they are on big fish trust me no one knows! There are hundreds of boats every weekend in the spring and early summer that fish for Salmon under and around the Crown Point Bridge area. They don't post and they only whisper. I had a day a few years back thet the 4-6lbers were raining from the sky..... My all time best day ever, I posted on the other forum and the very next day I was "voted off the Island" so to speak. Same with Plattsburg to Wilsboro Bay..... They "just don't tell"......
I am very jealous of the guys who live up that way and can fish that area easily, its over a 2 hour drive for me with my boat, Converse is an hour the Bridge is 20 minutes. I am lazy and start as close to home as i can and try to make the best of it.
I agree with Ben the guys Fishing the Sea Have shown us tons of Monster salmon, more than any other area. I know that there are so many monster salmon not report in other areas of the lake also.
Todd
Todd