A NEW KIND OF AUTO PILOT

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

A NEW KIND OF AUTO PILOT

Post by fishingmachine »

I can't recall where I saw this but it makes sense to me. you run your regular gas powered motor to troll with but on the bow you have a MinnKota i-pilot electric trolling motor that does the steering for you ,just aim and shoot. I think it was on a tv musky fishing show.As I have an auto-pilot on my boat I see this as an inexpensive way for anyone to add one to their trolling boat.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: A NEW KIND OF AUTO PILOT

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

I do that often when I'm by myself. I don't have a Ipilot but a regular Minn-Kota AP, 24volts, 75pds
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I have done the same thing with past boats that I have owned. But when you have a deep vee boat with high freeboard and maybe a cuddy cabin, this is not an option. Yet I do really like my Panther T4 electronic steering with the wireless radio control steering. Not really autopilot but I can steer my vessel from any location in my boat. The T4 works with any kicker motor that has a steering tube; but won't work with an I/O inboard.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

On the walleye scene the Minn Kota Terrova 101 lb 36 volt 60" shaft bow mounted I-pilot is all the rage. They use deep V Lunds, Alumucraft, Starcrafts, and other similar boats and this is a must have on Erie and other big lakes in the mid-west.

Thumbs up!
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

It is great when alone or with someone inexperienced to be able to work the back and not have to worry about steering. I have found it works great also to cheat a strong crosswind at an angle.As for inexpensive though your looking at close to 1500 dollars and still need 2 deep cycle batteries.
Scott
So many Lures So little Time
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

still cheaper than a new auto-pilot,no?
Dirtyhooker

Post by Dirtyhooker »

About the same price but not the same performance. Raymarine has sport pilots for under 1700. Problem is I have cable and not hydraulic steering. The I pilot is a sweet tool. I love the anchor setting for verticle jigging lakers. You put the bow in the wind hit anchor and the motor speeds up turns and does what ever it has to to keep the bow in a 5' spot via GPS.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Icedawg wrote:About the same price but not the same performance. Raymarine has sport pilots for under 1700. Problem is I have cable and not hydraulic steering. The I pilot is a sweet tool. I love the anchor setting for verticle jigging lakers. You put the bow in the wind hit anchor and the motor speeds up turns and does what ever it has to to keep the bow in a 5' spot via GPS.
Raymarine got a AP model X5 that can be use with a cable steering
digitroll (ron)

The Raymarine X-5 is awesome for cable steered boats. I have had mine since August with no complaints. The X5 is a digital version of the old analog sportpilot plus with the upgraded course computer that is comparable to the Simrad AP 12 or 14.

New for 2011 it had the drive unit beefed up with bearings instead of the belt drive.

I know of 4 others who purchased X-5's late Summer.
Reel Delight (Walt)

No way i can possibly mount any electric trolling motor on my Arima with the cuddy cabin, deck hatch, anchor locker and bow rails all in the way. But I would love to see Panther Marine produce a autopilot conversion or add on for their T4 steering units. I be looking to buy it for sure.
Retired & ready to fish!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I installed the Raymarine Autopilot X-5 on my cable steered boat last fall and it works like a charm. It sells for less then $1600 on the web. Installation is simple but you need to take your time to do a good job and run the wires.
It steers my main motor as well as my kicker.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

The X-5 will fit over a rotary or rack style steering system. Easy breezy!

The Simrad only works on a rotary steered boat and requires much more elbow grease for installation. Nice unit too!

The Terrova 101 requires 3 deep cycles and trays + connecting wires to jump 3 batteries. $2,000 investment + labor. It will add 300 lbs to your boat.
Dirtyhooker

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Thanks for the info on the x5 I a m going to have to look into it further.Hope tyhe wife don't read this :roll:
scott
Reel Delight (Walt)

Another great suggestion with auto pilot and cable steering but still a little problematic for me on my Arima Sea Ranger. I love my very sea worthy Arima let the one problem with Arima's that also make them sea worthy is the build of the hull where there are sponsons at the transom and the motor well and transom mount area is recessed between the sponsons. The kickers end up being mounted on one of the sponsons and connecting the two motors for steering takes some good engineering. Some Arima owners have built their own steering connecting rods and EZ-Steer steering rods. Panther Marine has also worked with Arima owners to customize a EZ-Steer rod. I used an EZ-steer on a previous boat with some dis-satisfaction so I went with the Panther T4.

I like the T4 where it is always in place, never any rods to connect or disconnect and my T8 Yamaha has power tilt so I just need to push buttons from the helm. Now if Panther Marine or others designed and sold a a auto-pilot to control the Panther T4. Actually it should be easy... wires to the T4 electronics and controls steering rather than me pushing a remote or wireless control button.

I think I am going to email them today!
Retired & ready to fish!
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

boy,I'm learning a lot! I have one of the old Ray marine sportpilots that bolts on to the steering post and uses a fluxgate compass to keep your course, It still works fine, and I am happy with it,,back then it was $999. It's probably the forerunner to the X-5