Official VT Fish & Wildlife Position On The Alabama Rig

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Eric L
Species: Whatever bites

Official VT Fish & Wildlife Position On The Alabama Rig

Post by Eric L »

http://www.mychamplain.net/forum/offici ... labama-rig

"The Department’s interpretation of the Alabama Rig is that by definition, it does not constitute a "lure" in and of itself, since it is hookless. As such, it can be construed as nothing more than terminal tackle, such as a wire leader, except with 5 strands of wire instead of one. The Alabama Rig does not become a lure intended to catch fish until hooks are added.
It is the Department’s interpretation that the Alabama Rig is legal to use in Vermont, provided no more than two lures with hooks intended to catch fish are attached to it."

I recommend reading the entire article.

-Eric
Dockside

Re: Official VT Fish & Wildlife Position On The Alabama Rig

Post by Dockside »

That there is an "umbrella rig" and Its been in use for years in salt water. They work great and they are pretty easy to make, I use swim baits myself. Good to hear you can use them here if you only have a couple hooks on them.

The spreader bars are cheap its the length of the lines you need to perfect if you want them to swim right.

Cool and thanks!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I can see myself experimenting with one of those...full of hookless MP6 honeybees from Tamiron Sporting Goods...a fine attractor indeed.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

So if you have a number of attractors, spinners, blades or whatever and only two hooks, it is legal? Is that what you are saying?
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Dockside wrote:That there is an "umbrella rig" and Its been in use for years in salt water. They work great and they are pretty easy to make, I use swim baits myself. Good to hear you can use them here if you only have a couple hooks on them.

The spreader bars are cheap its the length of the lines you need to perfect if you want them to swim right.

Cool and thanks!
Hey Ben, Do you carry them?
I see them on the web, but rather encourage locally.

They should make nice attractors with mixed spoons, with a hooked lure trailing behind.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Yes I can get as many as you want. I would try just one set just to see if you like fishing that set up.
vtfishbio

Post by vtfishbio »

fishing eagle (Walt) wrote:So if you have a number of attractors, spinners, blades or whatever and only two hooks, it is legal? Is that what you are saying?
Yes Walt, that is correct. The Alabama Rig, or any other such "umbrella rig" can be fished, as long as you only run two "lures" from it (the definition of what comprises a lure is provided in the full document). If you wanted to attach spinners or blades or something else as attractors, there are no restrictions on that.
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

If you put 2 hooks, I think we are not allowed to add a cheater on the line.

but... I can imagine the mess of the mix of cheater and this rig...
drachma
Species: Salmon, Lake Trout

Post by drachma »

I've used "umbrella rigs" for many years off NH and MA fishing for stripers they are fantastic. Never thought of using them in Lake C, but, now hmmmm. I still have several and will bring them to the Friday 13th meeting at VT H&M session for anyone to see.

Certainly putting several teasers on it with about a 24" to 36 " drop back one in the center with a hook sounds very exciting. Even thinking about using one of these on Ontario next summer. Could be a whole new aproach.

Michael